[SOLVED] Regarding RGB and LED splitters

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
When I get my new case I will start out with two RGB fans, one LED fan, and two regular fans.

RGB means it will change colors on it's own? LED means only one color? I have a remote already but it doesn't work, or I don't know how to use it. I plan to use Gigabyte's Fusion program.

I will need a splitter not a hub, right?

I think, pointed out to me by Luftij's answer to me in another post, that page 14 of my manual says that I have separate headers for LED (5v) and RGB (12V).

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 UD AC
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Bronze Pro 750w

So I will need one 4 pin header splitter for the RGB and one 3 pin header splitter for the LED? Just in case the fans cords don't reach. And then what kind of splitter do the regular fans need, a 4 pin to a 4 pin to a sys fan connector? I want to know what to order so it gets here when the case and fans do.

Solution
Just LED (although RGBs are also LED lights) means that it's stuck to one color only, the color it came with and is powered by power leads for fan's motor, some may have an off-on switch for light but that's it. Voltage ranges between 3-5/5v up to 12v that fan runs at so light intensity may vary with fan speed.
RGB lights have Red, Green and Blue LEDs with each color having own lead from MB or controller, are analog so voltage can adjust intensity, work on up to 12v, Connector has 4 pins and colors (combination of all or each separately can be adjusted by software or BIOS settings for MB or controller they are plugged in.
Third type are ARGB (Addressable RGB), essentially digitally controlled with some part of control...
When I get my new case I will start out with two RGB fans, one LED fan, and two regular fans.

RGB means it will change colors on it's own? LED means only one color? I have a remote already but it doesn't work, or I don't know how to use it. I plan to use Gigabyte's Fusion program.

I will need a splitter not a hub, right?

I think, pointed out to me by Luftij's answer to me in another post, that page 14 of my manual says that I have separate headers for LED (5v) and RGB (12V).

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 UD AC
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Bronze Pro 750w

So I will need one 4 pin header splitter for the RGB and one 3 pin header splitter for the LED? Just in case the fans cords don't reach. And then what kind of splitter do the regular fans need, a 4 pin to a 4 pin to a sys fan connector? I want to know what to order so it gets here when the case and fans do.

Just LED (although RGBs are also LED lights) means that it's stuck to one color only, the color it came with and is powered by power leads for fan's motor, some may have an off-on switch for light but that's it. Voltage ranges between 3-5/5v up to 12v that fan runs at so light intensity may vary with fan speed.
RGB lights have Red, Green and Blue LEDs with each color having own lead from MB or controller, are analog so voltage can adjust intensity, work on up to 12v, Connector has 4 pins and colors (combination of all or each separately can be adjusted by software or BIOS settings for MB or controller they are plugged in.
Third type are ARGB (Addressable RGB), essentially digitally controlled with some part of control integrated in fan or strip and other part in MB or separate controller, LEDs in them are usually capable of displaying all 3 colors in various combinations and levels, giving much more pleasing and variable affects.
Plugs are 3 pin, run at 5v.
None of those type are interchangeable, can't be splitted or connected together and require own header on the MB or separate controller.

Solution

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Thank you very much. I was able to order cables so that I'm covered on all three types.

edit: I have one of the RGB fans here, it has 3 connectors. Whyyyyy? One for motherboard, one for controller, and one for...? The controller cord is the one that is split. Will I have to hook it up to both the PWM and RGB splitters? Oh I think it's for daisychaining the fans. So I won't have to use all three connectors.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I was able to order cables so that I'm covered on all three types.

edit: I have one of the RGB fans here, it has 3 connectors. Whyyyyy? One for motherboard, one for controller, and one for...? The controller cord is the one that is split. Will I have to hook it up to both the PWM and RGB splitters? Oh I think it's for daisychaining the fans. So I won't have to use all three connectors.
What does third one look like ? Possibilities: For Chain connection to anther fan, (each fan should have receptacle for it too). If it's Molex, than to connect to PSU directly.

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
It's not molex. There's the female connector to the motherboard on one cord, then the other cord splits into a female and a male connector. So it's easier for daisychaining, I guess.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: