[SOLVED] Regarding TPM and encryption

Ben Meekin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Hi all, I'm really sorry if this is a basic and considered a stupid question but I want to make sure I do this correctly.

I run a Ryzen 9 3900x CPU so I know I'm able to enable my TPM firmware through my bios, what I'm getting confused about is the encryption side of things, I've read that bitlocker is used but I don't recall ever setting anything like this up so I'm very unfamiliar with the process, as soon as I enable TPM do files automatically become encrypted or am I able to simply enable TPM and upgrade to windows 11 when it releases without having to do anything else?

Thanks for your time, again I apologize for such basic questions.

Ben Meekin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
From some reports, Bitlocker will be automatically enabled with Win 11.

In Win 10, it is a feature you enable/configure (not supported by Home version).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...cryption-0c453637-bc88-5f74-5105-741561aae838
Ok it's starting to make a bit of sense, so in theory I can enable it, leave the encryption stuff alone and just do the upgrade when it releases?

I understand there is safety in encrypting files but truthfully I'm quite comfortable living without it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
TPM also can be used for Windows Hello and PIN's and in some versions of Win 11 users will only have PIN, no password. I don't think that applies to Home/Pro. More Enterprise versions get that feature. TPM still used for the 2 features I mentioned - PIN & Hello on all versions.

I enabled ftpm in bios weeks ago, I don't think win 10 uses it for PIN/Hello as it uses a software variant for that. Just to make sure I was ready for October.