Regarding with External DVD drives and a Laptop's build-in DVD drive in terms of burning

glass_joe1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
When using IMGburn, It is stated that when I insert a CD-R disc to my laptop's built-in DVD drive, the lowest it can go is 10x. Now, I managed to hold onto an external DVD drive and plugged it into my laptop. It claimed that it can write at a speed of at least 4x which is something I want (since I need backup of my PS1 discs and it tends to go well with a write speed of 4x and 8x). However, when I opened IMGburn, it stated that the lowest write speed is 10x and not 4x that it stated.

Now, what I want to know is does the laptop's built-in DVD drive affects the writing capabilities of an external DVD drive or not? Is my external DVD writer lying regarding with the write speed or do I need to find another burn program?

Solution
A USB DVD drive will not influence an internal DVD drive in anyway, completely separate from each other.

In IMGburn, make sure you have selected the correct DVD drive as you may have picked your internal drive, hence why you are seeing only 10x speed and not 4x speed.

Another option would be to disable then in-built DVD drive and see if IMGburn will let you select 4x.

If that fails, I would use another program, lots of free ones out there.

JRock247

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
A USB DVD drive will not influence an internal DVD drive in anyway, completely separate from each other.

In IMGburn, make sure you have selected the correct DVD drive as you may have picked your internal drive, hence why you are seeing only 10x speed and not 4x speed.

Another option would be to disable then in-built DVD drive and see if IMGburn will let you select 4x.

If that fails, I would use another program, lots of free ones out there.

Solution