Regedit will not let me import backup registry

i created a backup file for my registry, and am trying to restore it due to
minor changes i have made, but when i try to import, i get this error
message: "cannot import (file name). Not all data was successfully written to
the registry. some keys are open by the system or other processes." what does
this mean? and how do i fix it? thanks

tman2o Wrote:
> i created a backup file for my registry, and am trying to restore it due
> minor changes i have made, but when i try to import, i get this error
> message: "cannot import (file name). Not all data was successfully
> written to
> the registry. some keys are open by the system or other processes."
> what does
> this mean? and how do i fix it? thanks

Hi there.

The message means that the registry settings that u r trying to import
refer to programs that r currently running and hence those settings may
not be implemented. try this:

boot into safe mode and close all open windows then try merging the
registry backup.

just in case u want to know how to boot in safe mode, just press F8
while the system boots, u will get a boot option menu. from that menu,
using arrow keys select 'safe mode' and hit enter.

Do let me know if that solves ur problem.

--
asim662