Register For Tom's Hardware's G-Sync Vs FreeSync Event - July 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit_1209

Distinguished
Well, what can I say? it´s a pretty good idea in fact but I hope all the participants let their fanboy glasses at home so we can see an objective result out of this.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Well, what can I say? it´s a pretty good idea in fact but I hope all the participants let their fanboy glasses at home so we can see an objective result out of this.
From what I understand, it won't matter if they are wearing their fanboy glasses - each participant will sit in front of a computer, play some games, and then will be asked how the game ran - there will be no way to actually tell if it is freesync or gsync. Simply put, the reviewers will have no way to tell whether the system they are on is running freesync or g sync.
Tom's, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
They will probably have to conceal the identity of the graphic cards and the monitors in order not to introduce any fanboy bias. Also do testing at different fps rates to determine the lowest acceptable rate for gaming.

ccarroz

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
From what I understand, it won't matter if they are wearing their fanboy glasses - each participant will sit in front of a computer, play some games, and then will be asked how the game ran - there will be no way to actually tell if it is freesync or gsync. Simply put, the reviewers will have no way to tell whether the system they are on is running freesync or g sync.
Unless the fanboy in them is really really real and they can spot a AMD or nVidia only effect in a given game ;)

Hope I get to go.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Great idea. I hope there are a range of monitors on both ends so we can discern the good vs bad displays. Any representatives from either company going to be there?

I hope these would be single GPU configs to eliminate any SLI/X-Fire anomalies. As someone who lives 20 miles away and is in the market for a "sync'd" display + GPU this summer, I would be interested in going.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

You got it right--blind test. Well, not "blind," because you have to see the displays. But the branding, etc. will all be obscured. Think "Pepsi Challenge."

Jmac4444444

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
You got it right--blind test. Well, not "blind," because you have to see the displays. But the branding, etc. will all be obscured. Think "Pepsi Challenge."

Awesome! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Sounds cool, wish I was in Cali.

If I had to guess a winner, I would pick G-Sync. It's had quite a bit more time while Free-Sync doesn't even have monitors that can reach the limits of the spec yet.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hey Tom's community. Yes, this will be blind. If we do our jobs well, you fanboys (and fangirls I hope!) won't know. Hope you can live with yourselves after :). We are getting a great and fast response to this so far, so please sign up quickly. We're working with all of the relevant companies to make sure that it's a very level playing field. Both AMD and Nvidia love this event and are providing support.

I hope to see you there!

- Fritz Nelson, Editor-in-chief

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
And i would love to be a judge of this, after working in television working with frames and such in control panel and before that being a manager in internet cafes where i would put many PCs head on with different gpus on same games to see how they go real and live, i could be a very good judge i mean

I live on the east coast, so i can't come. But i can't wait to see the full results with data. I have a feeling Freesync will be adequate and G-sync won't offer enough benefit to justify the added costs. Freesync will eventually rule the day in the future. It sucks because i have a geforce 970 and am eyeing a gsync AOC monitor.

dbdarrough

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
One of the key differences between the technologies is how they handle fps when outside of the monitor's refresh rates. I hope that the tests will include games that run below and above the range of refresh rates supported by the monitor to see the difference. I imagine when in range they are fairly similar but below this range (say 20-30 fps) Nividia's G-Sync should look a lot better. It might be the difference between playable and a slideshow.

GSYNC wins...

Choosing comparable monitors might be difficult though. The ONLY monitor I recommend is the Acer Predator (IPS, GSYNC, 144Hz, 4ms response). Does FREESYNC have a comparable model?

If comparing TN panels that's fine though as it's really about the "smoothness" however some really important things are:

1. What happens if you hit the MAX refresh rate?
2. What happens if you drop below the MINIMUM rate (i.e. 30Hz or 40Hz)?
3. Will they run games below 40FPS if one panel is Freesync and has a 40Hz minimum and one is GSYNC with a 30Hz minimum?

Long story short is if they keep the games in the "zone" where asynchronous mode always works then we aren't getting the full picture.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Well, if both perform well at X FPS, how will that be even a decent review? Are they going to have mirrored displays in order to compare two "blind" brands/models against each other, or is it "rate the amount of tearing or fluidity"? It just seems like its too easy to botch when playing one system at a time without having the direct comparison infront of the tester. My 2 cents.

I hope you guys post the findings and I do appreciate tom's pulling this as there have been a lack of coverage in comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.