registering OS problem

canawhippen

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Ridiculous! I have had XP Home for several years legally bought and paid for but I just changed my Motherboard and increased my RAM and had to "repair" my OS program and now it's saying I have to "register" it but the phone numbers are out of service and everytime I try to register it via internet it says it's unable to. Any suggestions before I can't use my paid for program from MS?

Solution

linux has games and i am sure at this point supports more games then XP. linux does have a learning curve though so if you are looking to use it for more then just surfing the web and checking e-mail i would recommend windows 7 or 10 if its a newer PC

OEM keys are tied to the motherboard, if your board died you can call and talk to someone at MS and they might give you a new key to activate windows.

anything before windows 8, any OEM license get tied to the motherboard unless you buy a retail version. Its one of those the key dies with the board.

if the OS was an OEM then you bought the version that only allows you to use it for ONE computer. changing your motherboard and ram is basically getting a new PC. you probably bought the OEM version over retail because it was cheaper which most do or this was what came with your prebuilt computer. if this was retail then you would not have this problem.

best thing to do is get the phone number off MS website and tell them your motherboard failed and had to be replaced. there have been times MS will reactivate it because of this

linux has games and i am sure at this point supports more games then XP. linux does have a learning curve though so if you are looking to use it for more then just surfing the web and checking e-mail i would recommend windows 7 or 10 if its a newer PC

Solution