eb

I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
Reg Back up included?
Thanks.

EasyCleaner
[[EasyCleaner is a small program which searches Windows' registry for
entries that are pointing nowhere. EasyCleaner also lets you delete all
kinds of unnecessary files like temps, backups etc.]]

[[EasyCleaner creates .REG-file from all entries deleted on the same
session, and by double-clicking the *.REG-file you can add those previously
deleted entries back to the registry.] i.e. EasyCleaner makes backup (Undo
files) that you can use to replace something that you deleted using
EasyCleaner.]]
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%%Xte.7010$hK3.2724@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
EB <eb@news.net> hunted and pecked:
> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
> over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
> Reg Back up included?
> Thanks.

Don't know of a free one - however, if you're interested - - here is a
review of features for 10 'for sale' apps:
http://registry-repair-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=registry+cleaner

David Wier
MCP
ASP.Net MVP
http://aspexpress.com

"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of slowing
>down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed and
>uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk over
>time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
> Reg Back up included?
> Thanks.

With a free registry cleaner you usually also get free problems.
The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.

You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"EB" wrote:

| I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
| slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
| and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
| over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
| Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
| Reg Back up included?
| Thanks.

Hello, I use a free program : RegSeeker by Hover.inc.
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Take Care.
beamish.

EB <eb@news.net> typed:

> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems
> of
> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have
> installed
> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a
> lot of
> junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated
> and
> has a Reg Back up included?

With rare exceptions, none of that "junk" hurts you. It's much
more likely that a registry cleaner--*any* registry
cleaner--will hurt you than help you. I recommend staying away
from them all.

Please reply to the newsgroup

mbrown

Just use Regclean. It works great and as far as what others have said
not cleaning up the registry WILL make your machine run slower
especially logging in (if you have alot of junk in it). Also it will
get rid of some entries from spyware that the tools may leave behind.

By the way for those of you that say that regclean is not for XP only
up untill win2k there have been extensive tests done to see if it will
cause any ill effects to XP and it does NOT.

--
mbrown
mbrown's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=684

System Mechanic has a very good registry cleaner. They have a fully
functional 30 day trial. www.iolo.com
Also, try these
http://majorgeeks.com/download414.html

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048

"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of slowing
>down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed and
>uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk over
>time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
> Reg Back up included?
> Thanks.

You might try WinASO Registry Optimizer. It allows 10 "fixes" at a
time for the free version. Unlimited for the registered. At ten at a
time it may take a while but it seems to work and yes does make back
ups of what it fixes/deletes.

EB wrote:
> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
> over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
> Reg Back up included?
> Thanks.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user.

The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability.

What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously.

I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:26:23 -0500, mbrown
<mbrown.1qzugv@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote:

|Just use Regclean. It works great and as far as what others have said
|not cleaning up the registry WILL make your machine run slower
|especially logging in (if you have alot of junk in it)
Not so on my PC which used to boot in 150' & now takes
40'. Cant get much faster. Services & Startups were
critical, not Registry. Details at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/61faeb63ba3fb361/50ca96cc1f588839?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:More+insubject:Services+insubject:%3D+insubject:50%25+insubject:Less+insubject:Boot+insubject:Time&rnum=1&hl=en#50ca96cc1f588839

HTH-Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:08:19 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

| Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
|use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
|inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
|no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
|products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
|or stability.
Key point Bruce. If it does no good, tthe safety is
moot point. NO efficacy re boot time as my post above
states:
my PC which used to boot in 150' & now takes 40'. Cant
get much faster. Services & Startups were critical, not
Registry. Details at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/61faeb63ba3fb361/50ca96cc1f588839?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:More+insubject:Services+insubject:%3D+insubject:50%25+insubject:Less+insubject:Boot+insubject:Time&rnum=1&hl=en#50ca96cc1f588839

I'm doing a study which shows each app installed adds
about .6% or less to Registry so even if u dont
uninstall anything it's a pimple on an elephants ass
:) Will publish final results here after I recheck
numbers so all anal retentive spellers can check my
spelling :)

HTH-Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Bruce,

I have some experience with the registry and I like to have other tools
available to use besides Regedit.exe and F3. So I use EasyCleaner.

I also use a screwdriver, not a pocket knife, when I drive screws. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:upW0hbsdFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> hunted and pecked:
> EB wrote:
>> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
>> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
>> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
>> over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
>> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
>> Reg Back up included?
>> Thanks.
>

> The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
> the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
> device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
> registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
> loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
> confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
> each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
> using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
> experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
> Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
> of the inexperienced user.
>
> The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
> and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
> your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
> experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
> no matter how safe they claim to be.
>
> Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
> use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
> inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
> no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
> products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
> or stability.
>
> What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
> all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
> cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
> would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
> the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
> use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
> manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
> have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
> multiple changes simultaneously.
>
> I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
> far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
> encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Carey is making jokes!!!!!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:%232eQobodFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> With a free registry cleaner you usually also get free problems.
> The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.
>
> You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
> http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "EB" wrote:
>
> | I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
> | slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
> | and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
> | over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> | Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
> | Reg Back up included?
> | Thanks.

What I want to know is,,, during the 30 day free trial period, do you get
free trial problems??

:)

Don

David Candy wrote:
> Carey is making jokes!!!!!
>
>> With a free registry cleaner you usually also get free problems.
>> The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.
>>
>> You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
>> http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "EB" wrote:
>>
>>> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
>>> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have
>>> installed and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows
>>> collects a lot of junk over time, I though about cleaning the
>>> registry.
>>> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and
>>> has a Reg Back up included?
>>> Thanks.

Here are 5 issues that regclean can cause. Type Regclean in help with search options set to All MS Products.

This issue may also occur if you run RegClean, version 3.0 or 4.0, on your computer, and then attempt to run Visual Basic for Applications code that uses Automation to control another program. The issue occurs because RegClean 3.0 or 4.0 removes the keys that are required to use Automation.
Do Not Use the Microsoft Utility RegClean 4.1 with Visual Studio or Any Visual Studio Applications:

If you run RegClean 4.1 (build 97.71), you might find (if you have Visual C++ Enterprise or Visual Basic Enterprise installed) that the Database Designer no longer works or (if you have Visual InterDev installed) the Database Designer and LinkView tools no longer work. If you have run RegClean, then reinstall the Visual Studio applications as appropriate.

This is a problem that occurs only with packaged media. Packaged media is multimedia file that has been encrypted using Windows Media Rights Manager and can only be played by obtaining a valid license. There following two issues may cause this problem:
• You have run the RegClean utility, which has removed registry keys necessary to play packaged content.

RegClean
RegClean may remove a critical registry entry for the Java COM component that is wrapped by Griddtc.ocx. Check for the existence of the registry key show below, and manually add it to the registry if it is missing.
SYMPTOMS
When you run the RegClean utility after you install one of the products listed in the "Applies to" section, you may experience one of the following symptoms: • The RegClean utility finds errors in the System Registry, and you receive the option to Fix Errors in the RegClean utility.
• When you install a Microsoft Office program whose installation state is Installed on First Use and then double-click a document that is associated with that program, the Office program may not start. Instead, the Open With dialog box appears and the Office program is not listed.

"mbrown" <mbrown.1qzugv@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message news:mbrown.1qzugv@no-mx.msusenet.com...

> Just use Regclean. It works great and as far as what others have said
> not cleaning up the registry WILL make your machine run slower
> especially logging in (if you have alot of junk in it). Also it will
> get rid of some entries from spyware that the tools may leave behind.
>
> By the way for those of you that say that regclean is not for XP only
> up untill win2k there have been extensive tests done to see if it will
> cause any ill effects to XP and it does NOT.
>

> --
> mbrown
> mbrown's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=684

Hi EB - You say, " I have been running WinXP for a long while without any
problems of
slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of
junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry."

If you aren't having problems, why would you want to screw with your
Registry?

In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are fraught with
danger. I advise against using them except in one specific instance, that
is when you have one that is capable of doing specific Reg searches, and you
NEED (not just WANT) to remove the remaining traces of something that didn't
get uninstalled correctly. (and you didn't have foresight enough to install
it using Total Uninstall, http://www.martau.com/tu.html or direct dwnld
here: http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=61416, in the
first place.) (As an aside, there are, however, some third party Registry
Editors which can be of great help with both the incorrect uninstall and
with certain malware problems, especially some of theCoolWebSearch types
such as the AppInit_DLLs variant of the about:blank version of CWS, for
example. I can recommend Registrar Lite, here:
http://www.resplendence.com/reglite .)

There are a couple of specific bugs that can cause abnormal growth in either
the System or Software hives; however, they are rare, and unless these hives
in %SystemRoot%\System32\config are very, very large (in the hundreds of
megabytes), then I would council you to leave your Registry alone except for
the special circumstances I mentioned above.

I and most other MVP's that I know believe that Registry modifications of
any type are probably best done manually, very carefully, with a thorough
knowledge of what's installed on your machine, and what you're doing, and
then only when necessary. There's very little (if any!) noticeable benefit
in either space saving or speed achievable by cleaning out the Registry
except in those few cases where there's a specific problem the client is
experiencing (usually uninstall or malware related in my experience) that
needs to be fixed.

Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
using the Reg cleaner's restore:

Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm I've set it up to
take a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis,
and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
useful information about this subject.

This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
recommended.

FYI, quoting from the above document:

"Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
(for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of
> junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and
> has a Reg Back up included?
> Thanks.

Charles

Try using a 30 day trial version of JV16, go to
http://www.macecraft.com/home/ to download this program.

"Jim Byrd" <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
> (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can
> the
> exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
> one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
> registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.
>

> --
> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
> My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
>
> "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
>> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
>> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of
>> junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
>> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:51:11 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Bruce,
>
>I have some experience with the registry and I like to have other tools
>available to use besides Regedit.exe and F3. So I use EasyCleaner.
>
>I also use a screwdriver, not a pocket knife, when I drive screws. ;-)

I was also going to mention EasyCleaner. It seems to narrow down its
search to reasonable area, and doesn't rip through the registry
autocleaning things at random. It makes a list of items that it
believes are orphaned entries and allows you to decide what to do with
them. (Best be positive that you don't need them. Playing Registry
Roulette with an automatic cleaner is not wise.)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:17:37 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM>
wrote:

> Key point Bruce. If it does no good, tthe safety is
>moot point. NO efficacy re boot time as my post above
>states:
>my PC which used to boot in 150' & now takes 40'. Cant
>get much faster. Services & Startups were critical, not
>Registry. Details at
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/61faeb63ba3fb361/50ca96cc1f588839?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:More+insubject:Services+insubject:%3D+insubject:50%25+insubject:Less+insubject:Boot+insubject:Time&rnum=1&hl=en#50ca96cc1f588839

Interesting thread. For the word-wrap impaired, it's:
http://tinyurl.com/drc7p
(Larry, you can go to TinyUrl.com, copy the URL, and get back a short
'autoroute' to that URL)

Of particular interest in the thread mentioned, the comments on needed
services running at boot time vs manual startup later:
http://tinyurl.com/7qjkc

I think the point, though, is that it's relatively easy to disable a
given service to speed up boot time, as that service can (usually) be
enabled again. Of course, disabling services without checking them
thoroughly can be almost as bad as deleting registry keys.

As far as competence in dealing with registry keys...I think that's
relative. I'd like to find a person on this planet that knows what's
in an XP registry that's been active for over a year. You can check
out what model disk drives you used back in 1999, etc. Some scarey
stuff, and it's never going away. You've got to reinstall to truly
clean it.

I realize that the registry is essential to the way the NT/XP kernel
works, but it's so misused that every little app you run is gonna jam
something in there. Some (including XP at times) go hog-wild, leaving
me wondering how XP keeps running with all that trash. lt makes me
miss those old-fashioned INI files.

Future apps are supposed to take advantage of .NET's functions,
including local XML config files (yes, Microsoft misses INI files now,
too). Still, so many apps use the registry that it will remain a
millstone for years to come.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:28:18 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:

> Some (including XP at times) go hog-wild, leaving
>me wondering how XP keeps running with all that trash. lt makes me
>miss those old-fashioned INI files.

Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
key in regedit. I can confirm reports that Spysweeper also flags some
empty registry keys as specific viruses/malware. I guess it would
look stupid if they reported "Nope, didn't find anything." Now I'm
curious about whether they'll clean up the registry when I uninstall.

How about Norton or AOL for registry pukers?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:d5unb15krgpatrb58i08chbn6n0csn7vdu@4ax.com,
_RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:28:18 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:
>
>> Some (including XP at times) go hog-wild, leaving
>> me wondering how XP keeps running with all that trash. lt makes me
>> miss those old-fashioned INI files.
>
> Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
> registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
> case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
> key in regedit. I can confirm reports that Spysweeper also flags some
> empty registry keys as specific viruses/malware. I guess it would
> look stupid if they reported "Nope, didn't find anything." Now I'm
> curious about whether they'll clean up the registry when I uninstall.

>In news:d5unb15krgpatrb58i08chbn6n0csn7vdu@4ax.com,
>_RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
>> registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
>> case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
>> key in regedit.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:59:00 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>How about Norton or AOL for registry pukers?
>
>--
>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
>Wes
>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Thanks for the help, Wes! I'll load them right away.

How about an Iron Cage Match for Registry Pigs. In this corner we
have Webroot Spysweeper, weighing in at 3.4 MBytes.

I just exported my Webroot reg key, and the .reg file is really
3.4 MB. Can Norton or AOL beat that?

Greetings & thank you for your response.

<_RR@nomail.org> wrote:

|Interesting thread. For the word-wrap impaired, it's:
|http://tinyurl.com/drc7p
|(Larry, you can go to TinyUrl.com, copy the URL, and get back a short
|'autoroute' to that URL)
TY & I knew about tinturl but hadnt used it yet- I
shall in future if long url's r a problem.

|Of particular interest in the thread mentioned, the comments on needed
|services running at boot time vs manual startup later:
|http://tinyurl.com/7qjkc
|
|I think the point, though, is that it's relatively easy to disable a
|given service to speed up boot time, as that service can (usually) be
|enabled again. Of course, disabling services without checking them
|thoroughly can be almost as bad as deleting registry keys.
MY pont was that by turning 2 services ON
automatic my boot time was reduced by 50%. Yet I'm
running 2 Windows XP's and that is exactly what
happened in both

|As far as competence in dealing with registry keys...I think that's
|relative. I'd like to find a person on this planet that knows what's
|in an XP registry that's been active for over a year. You can check
|out what model disk drives you used back in 1999, etc. Some scarey
|stuff, and it's never going away. You've got to reinstall to truly
|clean it.
I operate there with confidence but rely on others
for what to do. I must have 50 tweaks easy. Reseach I
have done shows that even max bounds on benefits from
optimising it r ridiculously small (<1%) so ur time
would be better spent elsewhere..

Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Wow!

And in this corner..............wearing no trunks at all.

For me, one ERDNT backup is only 27.0 MB and that includes some ERDNT
software.

As a comparison....

%HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT 544 KB
%allusersprofile%\ntuser.dat 256 KB
%HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\Default
User\NTUSER.DAT 228 KB
%HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and
Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT 228 KB
%HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and
Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT 228 KB
%homepath%\NTUSER.DAT 9.75 MB
%windir%\repair\ntuser.dat 228 KB
%windir%\repair\software 7.76 MB
%windir%\repair\security 28.0 KB
%windir%\repair\system 1.21 MB
%windir%\repair\sam 24.0 KB
%windir%\repair\default 228 KB
%windir%\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat 256 KB

%windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\software 15.0 MB
%windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY 36.0 KB
%windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\system 2.75 MB
%windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM 24.0 KB
%windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\default 256 KB

--