Dan

Downloaded and ran a trial copy of RegistryRescue, it states I have 348
invalid registry entries.
1. Can that many invalid entries slow computer down?
2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?

Responded in your original thread.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
> Downloaded and ran a trial copy of RegistryRescue, it states I have 348
> invalid registry entries.
> 1. Can that many invalid entries slow computer down?
> 2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?

Given the size of the registry, 348 unneeded entries probably will not make
any difference, but a single entry which causes the OS to search for a
missing component can cause a delay while the futile search goes on.

"Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
> Downloaded and ran a trial copy of RegistryRescue, it states I have 348
> invalid registry entries.
> 1. Can that many invalid entries slow computer down?
> 2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?

johnf

That's fine for Dan, but I'd also like to see your reply to Q1., - WHICH
original thread/NG?

--

johnf

> Responded in your original thread.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Downloaded and ran a trial copy of RegistryRescue, it states I have 348
>> invalid registry entries.
>> 1. Can that many invalid entries slow computer down?
>> 2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?

This was my original response to this question:

Through the course of work on a computer, installing and removing
applications, etc. it is not unusual to end up with invalid entries in the
registry. Unlike Windows 9x, I personally have seen no need to use registry
cleaners nor any evidence of major slowdowns caused by such entries from
normal use. If you've had viruses or malware of some type that you've had
to clear from your system, it's possible they may have left entries that
might be causing some problems but under normal use, I've rarely seen
slowdowns caused by the registry. Your mileage may vary, some of it depends
upon your usage, what you have installed, how recent are these applications
as in are they XP apps or 9x apps or older apps which might gum up the
registry.

Is it safe to let a program like this fix all registry entries? It's not
SAFE to let any such program make changes in the registry and it's not safe
to be rooting around in the registry at all, period. Any time you do so,
you should be well backed up and be prepared for a situation where your
system becomes unbootable, in other words, some sort of means for a quick
restore such as an image of your current setup to which you can quickly
return.

--

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
> That's fine for Dan, but I'd also like to see your reply to Q1., - WHICH
> original thread/NG?
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Responded in your original thread.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Downloaded and ran a trial copy of RegistryRescue, it states I have 348
>>> invalid registry entries.
>>> 1. Can that many invalid entries slow computer down?
>>> 2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?

johnf

Thanks, Michael.

--

johnf

> This was my original response to this question:
>
> Through the course of work on a computer, installing and removing
> applications, etc. it is not unusual to end up with invalid entries in
> the registry. Unlike Windows 9x, I personally have seen no need to use
> registry cleaners nor any evidence of major slowdowns caused by such
> entries from normal use. If you've had viruses or malware of some type
> that you've had to clear from your system, it's possible they may have
> left entries that might be causing some problems but under normal use,
> I've rarely seen slowdowns caused by the registry. Your mileage may
> vary, some of it depends upon your usage, what you have installed, how
> recent are these applications as in are they XP apps or 9x apps or
> older apps which might gum up the registry.
>
> Is it safe to let a program like this fix all registry entries? It's
> not SAFE to let any such program make changes in the registry and it's
> not safe to be rooting around in the registry at all, period. Any time
> you do so, you should be well backed up and be prepared for a situation
> where your system becomes unbootable, in other words, some sort of
> means for a quick restore such as an image of your current setup to
> which you can quickly return.
>

> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> That's fine for Dan, but I'd also like to see your reply to Q1., -
>> WHICH original thread/NG?
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> Responded in your original thread.