[SOLVED] REGISTRY ERROR after overclocking attempt

Jan 13, 2019
Hello,

I have run into a blue screen of death problem, where I get a BSOD after 30 seconds of logging into my account.

Background:
Today I was tinkering a bit in the BIOS trying to overclock my processor. The BIOS has a built in wizard installation, so I ran the wizard. The option I chose was an overclock for gaming purposes. I have had no prior experiences overclocking. The wizard overclocked my CPU as well as my RAM.

The PC restarted, and for the purpose of checking how the overclock went, I started Overwatch and OBS to run a little test stream. The CPU temperature was fine, but the CPU usage went up to 100%. This after about 1 minute of streaming. I turned off OBS, but the CPU usage was barely affected - it switched between 96-100% usage. Half a minute after I turned off and exited OBS, the computer crashed and I was met with a blue screen and the error message:

REGISTRY_ERROR

stop 0x00000051 (0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFF8A000024010, 0x000000000150F000, 0x0000000000000374)

I have no idea how to interpret or solve this. I have reset settings to default in BIOS. They should be reset to default.

Some further symptoms I have ran into are:

- As soon as I log into my, or any account on the computer, it takes about 10 - 30 seconds and then, blue screen with the same error. During this time, the CPU usage steadily declines from ~20% by about 2-7% until it reaches 0 and then it crashes, and I get the same blue screen message.

- I have tried idling for 10 minutes before logging into my account. The computer does not crash before logging in. After idling and I login, the computer now crashes instantly instead of the slow decline in CPU usage as described above.

- While in Safe Mode, the computer does not crash. However, I have not checked CPU usage.

- In Safe Mode, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. It found no problems as far as I could tell.

- I managed to get BlueScreenView running. BlueScreenView has a tab that says "Caused by driver", and the listed cause for the crash is ntoskrnl.exe. I don't know what to do with this information either, however I felt it might add something to more experienced users.

Is it a drivers problem? Is it a hardware problem where I accidentally fried my computer?
Any and all help is deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Windows 7
Intel i5 4690k 3.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z97-A
Memory: Corsair 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz