Question Registry Tweaks for Gaming Performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2022
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games
GPU Priority > 8
Priority > 6
Scheduling Category > ?
SFIO Priority > ?

What do the lower two settings do? Any benefit in changing them to high or medium?
Is value 8 the highest for gpu priority? So priority is the general priority within the os?

Oct 18, 2022
I have no words, just wow.

ALERT !!! WARNING !!! DO NOT EDIT RANDOM REGISTRY KEYS !!! YOU MIGHT HARM YOUR SYSTEM !!!
Blablabla... that's basic 10 IQ human sense.

I came here with a specific question and all you got is shouting at me to not edit random reg keys??
Asking for a specific explenation is the opposite of random actions.

Repeating myself now:
GPU Priority > 8
Oobviously increases the GPU priority for applications that belong to the "game" cathegorie.)

Priority > 6
I don't know but im guessing this increases the priority of "game specific applications" in general to stand out above other system processes.

Scheduling Category > ?
No idea what this one does, how is scheduling releated to gaming?

SFIO Priority > ?
Don't know what "SFIO" stands for.

If there is anyone out there who isn't afraid of the windows registry and willing to provide actual helpful information, please share your knownledge, thank you.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, I totally understand your indignation. You came on here to ask what you can do to increase gaming performance by a registry hack that you don't understand. The advice of more than one person is not to do so but are convinced that someone will come rushing to your aid to explain the mystery. Seems reasonable.

What exactly are you expecting to gain from this magic registry hack, as in what percentage uplift to what equipment? Or is it just any equipment?

Perhaps we should consider a more tried and traditional method by which you give a description of your current build hardware, and idea into what target performance you are looking for, and what could make it happen?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
The GPU Priority will most likely increase the priority of the GPU for applications that go into the "game" cathegorie, this one is self explanatory.
How do i know that? Well... if you take a look at the last word in the registry directory...
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games

Then we got just "Priority" i am asuming this is the priority for the whole system, effectively modifing windows to set any application that belongs to the "game" cathegorie to be prioritised over other applications and/or processes.

Dosn't take a genious to make this conclusion.

I have learned nothing new about "Scheduling Category " and "SFIO Priority" since opening this thread.

I'm on a high end system, that will be enough information about my system.
The replys of this thread so far, i will not take as advice.
I came to find an explenation to what the above keys do, if you can't help me with that you don't need to comment anything, what you have said so far is not useful at all.
I do not expect these registry keys to have a massive impact, however since they must exist for a reason i do use them for a performance increase.

If you keep telling me to not touch these reg-keys then you must obviously know what they do, or else you are just randomly panicing telling me not to edit something while you don't even know what these reg-keys do, and that would be indeed sad. You cannot give someone else advice on what to do or not do if yourself doesn't even know what your'e talking about, that's nonsense.

I expected better from a hardware/software forum, time to ask my webbrowser again probably i will find an anser there before getting one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS