NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
So I installed a ryzen r5 3600 in my pc yesterday. Unfortunately, I keep getting regular CPU usage spike when doing absolutely nothing with my pc. The culprits appear to be WMI Provider Host and Winmgmt Windows Management Instrumentation. They spike every ~15 seconds, quite regularly, up to ~45% cpu. I hoped after last night it would fix itself this morning but nope. Also when the usage spikes, I get temperatures in the upper 70s Celsius, as reported by Ryzen Master. Games don't even get it that high. I tried running a virus scan but ended it when temperatures hit sustained 85c. I do plan to get an aftermarket cooler, but this shouldn't be a problem for the stock cooler. Going back to the above, I blame WMI Provider Host and Winmgmt Windows Management Instrumentation. If you have any suggestions for me I would appreciate them.

Idle CPU and ram usage also seem high, 8% cpu usage on idle, and 5.5gb ram usage when idle.

Last edited:

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Well, to update this for posterity, I think i "fixed it". I disabled most of my startup programs and rebooted. No cpu spikes. Ram usage down to a far more reasonable 3.5gb. After manually starting programs from the list there appears to be a problem (memory leak?) within Razer Synapse. Every time i try starting it I get spikes till i restart my pc and leave it disabled.