[SOLVED] Regular freeze&reboot with no errors after I close any game.

Feb 1, 2020
Hi, everyone!
I've got this problem for a month or so: sometimes, after I quit a game, my PC freezes for 2 seconds and reboots with no error message and without BSOD (once it happend instantly after closing a game, but mostly it does so after a couple of minutes). It doesn't happen every time, but rather once or twice a day. And it never happens while gaming.
Last time I experienced this in a new way - I was watching a YouTube video and tried to rewind it by clicking on a time code line (that red line you use to rewind) - the moment I've clicked on it my PC froze for a second and rebooted yet again.
The Event Viewer called it Event 41 - Kernel Power (critical event).
I've also run memtest64 (10 loops) which showed no errors, reinstalled windows even, but the problem persisted.
My temps are also fine (gaming or not), I check them with GPU-Z and I don't think that overheating is the case (my rig is dust-free as it can possibly be, got all the filters it needs and I clean it regularly).
And one more thing: I disabled windows automatic restart and when the thing happened again my PC didn't reboot as always, but instead it just froze dead, so I had to reboot manually and turn automatic restart back on.

I'm on Windows 10 and my specs are:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX H370-F Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7 - 8700
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 32Gb DDR4 2666MHz Kingston HyperX Fury (2 slots 16Gb in each)
PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200i
SSD for windows and HDD as a main storage device.

And I apologize if my English is hard to perceive - it's not my native language (I'm Russian).
Thanks in advance to everyone willing to help.

Last edited:
Solution
The more you tell me about it, the more I think it's PSU related. Although you have a very good one, it's still possible it could fail after only 1.5 years. However, it is less likely to do so, because it's a good unit. But it can still happen.

It might be an idea to bring to a local PC repair store, and pay $20 to get them to swap out the PSU and test. Then you can decide to buy a new one.
Feb 1, 2020
Hey there,

These types of re-starts normally point to the PSU. You have what is/was an excellent PSU, but I guess it's possible it's failed or failing. How old is it?

Can you swap another PSU in to test. Any decent 650w will do fine.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! Sorry that it took me so long to answer, I thought I would get a notification for new posts on gmail, but I haven't.
My PSU is 1,5 years old. And it worked exellent till recent, seems quite strange for it to fail so quickly.
I have no spare PSU at the moment, I think I have to buy a new one then.
But for the meantime... Is it possible that a faulty power socket could cause my problem? I moved my PC to another room of my house recently and have been using another socket since. But at first glance it looks normal. I'll try another one.
And a little update: now (after I reinstalled windows) I'm having these restarts not so often, but they started to happen even while gaming. And they still have some sort of a pattern - it seems that some of my actions are causing them. For example, the last one occurred exactly when I pressed a "quick load" button while playing Quake (yeah, I like classic games). And another one happened when I was playing Skyrim and opened the character menu.
Well, maybe I'm just looking for connections where there are none :)

Last edited:
The more you tell me about it, the more I think it's PSU related. Although you have a very good one, it's still possible it could fail after only 1.5 years. However, it is less likely to do so, because it's a good unit. But it can still happen.

It might be an idea to bring to a local PC repair store, and pay $20 to get them to swap out the PSU and test. Then you can decide to buy a new one.

Reactions: Jurgen Volkov
Solution
Feb 1, 2020

Good idea, I'll do just that. And then I'll post here if it confirms or not.
Thank you very much for your advice.

Feb 1, 2020
No problem. Glad to help. Yes, let us know how you get on. Good luck :)

Hello again! So it wasn't the PSU, but an old UPS I've been using for 7 years. Guys at PC repair store tested my rig for 7 hours (with my PSU in it) and not a single restart happened. And when I brought it back home and started to connect everything back I've decided to plug the PC directly to a wall socket (without that old UPS device). No sudden reboots since. I guess problem is solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead