Question Regular PC as server.

Feb 2, 2019
Hello,

Sorry if I mis-selected the topic.

I have a spare PC with some Okish specs:
FX-6100
8GB Ram DDR3 1666hz
GTX 650 2gb.

I wish to turn this lil fella into a personal server to run a CSGO server and a Forum.

I really dont know much about servers tho, I dont want anything special out of it. Just for fun.

Do I have to run linux or something like this on it?
Googling didnt really helped me, that's why Im here.

Any advice, please? :D

sniper7777777

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
Hey since it sounds like you don't have much exp with servers I would ask if you have exp with installing Operating Systems if you do the answer is really quite simple you would just install windows server operating system on this machine (server 2012, 2016, 2019) from there as a file server you would have to set NTFS permissions share permissions etc. im not sure of your knowledge level
but to answer your question that machine is more than enough to run a basic file server
it might be worth your while to just set up a share on that computer with regular windows 10/7 instead of creating an entire server any questions ask away
google setting up a windows share it should answer all your questions =)

Hey since it sounds like you don't have much exp with servers I would ask if you have exp with installing Operating Systems if you do the answer is really quite simple you would just install windows server operating system on this machine (server 2012, 2016, 2019) from there as a file server you would have to set NTFS permissions share permissions etc. im not sure of your knowledge level
but to answer your question that machine is more than enough to run a basic file server
it might be worth your while to just set up a share on that computer with regular windows 10/7 instead of creating an entire server any questions ask away
google setting up a windows share it should answer all your questions =)
That's a fileshare, he seems to be looking to install apps for things like his CSGO server and forum software, which is a lot more difficult.

OP unless you have a static IP address it's not worth it as you can't tell anyone where it is, as it'll move IP address every-so-often.

This is not commonly done anymore. Everything tends to be done in hosting centers where you lease either hardware or virtual servers.

Your largest issue is not the server it is the internet connection. Most internet connection are designed to have more download then upload. When you run a server you are doing the reverse you need UPLOAD to provide service to all the people downloading from your site. How much you need depends a lot on your traffic.

Next you need to have a public IP best if it is a static public IP. Most ISP charge extra for a static IP. Key though is the IP MUST be public if you have a private IP your project is dead before you start.

Most ISP do not really want you hosting servers, some try to prevent it. Most there concern is not so much that you are running too much traffic or something. They are afraid that you will set it up wrong and one of the many hacker group will take it over and use it to attack other machines. The ISP will does not want to have to constantly monitor for these rogue servers.

You take huge risk setting up servers when you do not know what you are doing. You will be attacked likely the same day you put the server up.

In any case you need to go to the csgo sites to see the instructions. In most cases you need to load a linux variant but they will have the details on which.

You are still better off renting a month or two of service from a hosting center. You can spend your time learning how to do things and the hosting center firewall and basic OS configurations will keep you somewhat safe.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Proxmox is a good place to start. ubuntu 18.04 server VM running docker/portainer. If you can find docker builds for those it's going to be a lot easier.

anything open to the public needs to be hardened. keeping all the management ports with local access only and putting those servers in a DMZ is a good start. You will want to find some guides that have full server setup.

Feb 2, 2019
Thank you everyone for the replies! :D

My bandwidth is no issue, I got 1gb/s up/download
I was also thinking about having a DNS tho... Like csgo.haitodo.com and www.haitodo.com (ex)

Ugh... I dont have exp with servers. I've ran minecraft and simple csgo servers before but that was all. Other wise I work as an IT Engineer so I kinda got my stuff. :p

Renting a server in my country is not a good idea because its very expensive since our currency (RON) is 1/4 of 1 euro and the renting prices are in euro. Also I've always wanted to have my own for this very reason.

Im able to install the server game files and get it running on LAN but I wish to have a public server.
I could talk to my IPS about stat static IP cuz Im sure that I currently have dynamic. Also keeping it running 24/7 wouldn't be an issue either.

USAFRet

Titan
Im able to install the server game files and get it running on LAN but I wish to have a public server.
I could talk to my IPS about stat static IP cuz Im sure that I currently have dynamic. Also keeping it running 24/7 wouldn't be an issue either.
Any 'server' or resource that is available publicly WILL be scanned and hammered on, looking for a way in.
Misconfiguration, a default setting, poor password.
Once into that server, they might be able to get into the rest of your internal network. Or just use/abuse it as part of a botnet.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't...just that you need to be absolutely clear on the risks involved.
They don't care that it is just little ol you running a game server. It is a resource to possibly be used and abused.

You don't need a static ip address. You can set up an account at https://www.noip.com/
Then give your friends the name (instead of IP so the name doesn't change and resolves to whatever ip address you have) to type into the csgo game. There are plenty of youtube videos that can help you set up the csgo server. You can definitely use your old computer, as these types of servers only utilize memory and very little processing.