[SOLVED] Regular PC freezes after 7900 XT upgrade

Feb 25, 2023
Hi all,

Yesterday I made the leap of upgrading to the 7900XT to be future proof towards 4K gaming. Initially ordered 3070, but returned it. I installed the new card today and was able to play a few games, but quite soon my pc started freezing which resulted in resetting it. First it happened only during gameplay but now also when I’m just browsing the internet. I’m doubting whether it’s my old cpu and mobo, or my psu. With the 3070 I didn’t experience these freezes btw.

Specs:
GPU: MSI 7900 XT @ stock
CPU: Intel i5 8600k @ stock
PSU: Corsair RM750
RAM: Corsair 32 GB 3200 MHz (freezes with both XMP on and off)
MOBO: MSI Z370A

I’m going to upgrade to i5 13600KF, MSI Z790P and Corsair 32 GB 5600 MHz, and want to know whether I should also get a new PSU. PC part picker noted that my setup is approx. 670w, so should be enough right? Or am I missing something here. Appreciate anyone looking into this.

Solution
I would sell that power supply if are going 13600 (please grab the one that is non F, its great to have onboard video to troubleshoot IMHO)

Be sure you have the latest amd drivers. I have had bad luck out of AMD, love the concept of double the VRAM on most cards, but the software is a deal killer for me.

I would basically just sell your current build as a whole (minus your new video card) and just built a new box.

Corsair Shift 1000 Watt is nice.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I would sell that power supply if are going 13600 (please grab the one that is non F, its great to have onboard video to troubleshoot IMHO)

Be sure you have the latest amd drivers. I have had bad luck out of AMD, love the concept of double the VRAM on most cards, but the software is a deal killer for me.

I would basically just sell your current build as a whole (minus your new video card) and just built a new box.

Corsair Shift 1000 Watt is nice.

Solution
Feb 25, 2023
Thanks for your reply! Makes sense to go for the non F indeed.

As for the software: I did some more reading and stumbled upon a thread on reddit where they noted that hardware acceleration is broken in the AMD drivers. I disabled it in Brave browser and haven't experienced any issues since. Makes me think that it doesn't really have anything to do with the PSU after all. I also read some people running the XTX variant at stock on 650w.

Is there a specific reason why you would sell the PSU if going 13600? I'm asking because I just bought the RM750 to initially go with the 3070, so if I can avoid having to spend another 200 euros on a PSU that'd be great.

Feb 25, 2023
Update: ordered the new set (CPU, MOBO & RAM) today and will receive it tomorrow. Will update once installed and tested.

Disabling hardware acceleration really seems to have fixed the freezes during internet browsing. Been playing games all day after. Hogwarts Legacy still crash, but I think that that's a software issue.

Feb 25, 2023
Just installed the new set and it runs like a dream! Playing on 1440p with ultra settings and still getting 144 fps. Playing at stock currently though, will buy a new PSU when I'm going to overclock. Thanks for thinking with me!

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I just like having headroom, and video cards pull a lot, if PC part picker shows you at 670 and you only have 750 that is getting closer. However that is a good power supply.

You can always use an UPS as a kilow watt meter to see, what your PC is pulling wattage wise while gaming.

Glad your getting such good FPS, great new system. Sell your old parts that really helps take the "Edge" off of the newer parts for me.