[SOLVED] Regular ping spikes to over 1000 ms, ISP is ignoring my requests.

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Good evening everyone,

I've been having a lot of problems with my internet plan ever since I got it. It would work fine for a month and then be bad for four months, but over the last 2 weeks it has been absolutely terrible!

I'm using EOLO which is a WAN - like a huge WiFi network so no cables. There has always been packet loss but I could play just fine most of the time. It isn't really affected by weather or anything even though I think their repeaters are constantly overloaded.

Anyways... Now I'm getting constant ping spikes, the speed itself is 1 Mbit instead of 30 and the packets lost are far too many to count.

I've tried everything on my end to fix this but the problem persisted even when I took the router out of the equation.

After contacting my service provider multiple times all they kept telling me was to "not use wifi" (Which I'm not), to "Try to restart the router" or to "Try again at a later time and turn off all devices during a speedtest".

I would love to switch but they are the only decent option where I live.

If you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated!

Some examples of what I'm dealing with can be found here
or here...

Solution
If it does it with the PC directly connected to their radio it is likely as you suspect and they have over sold the system. Now it could be that your radio is out of alignment but the ISP generally is smart enough to log into the radio and check the signal levels and error counts.

Best clue it is too many people competing for the ISP bandwidth is to try early in the morning and see if it is any different.

It is really bad when the ISP is a idiot and they are the only option.
If it does it with the PC directly connected to their radio it is likely as you suspect and they have over sold the system. Now it could be that your radio is out of alignment but the ISP generally is smart enough to log into the radio and check the signal levels and error counts.

Best clue it is too many people competing for the ISP bandwidth is to try early in the morning and see if it is any different.

It is really bad when the ISP is a idiot and they are the only option.

Solution