Question Reinserting my GPU is causing me to develop arthritis.... :(

Nov 3, 2020
Hello,

I recently assembled a PC from the collective left over parts over the course of my friends and myself upgrading our PC's, at first it seemed as though everything was running perfectly smooth... Then i powered the PC off and turned it back on the next day only to discover that it will not display anything. The only way I can get the PC to display again is to remove and reinsert the GPU, upon doing this the PC will run perfectly fine until powering off and the only way to fix is to repeat the process, this happens with both PCIe ports.

GPU: GTX 970
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7
CPU: Intel i5 4960k

Any thoughts or suggestions to remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Nov 11, 2020
What power supply does the PC have in it?

My PC was having a similar issue, with me having to open up my case and unplug the GPU every time I wanted to power it on, and quickly plug it back in. When a PC turns on, all the components momentarily take max power. This could be enough to trigger your PSU's fail-safe just as everything is powering on. Do the fans spin for a second and then stop?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
What power supply does the PC have in it?

My PC was having a similar issue, with me having to open up my case and unplug the GPU every time I wanted to power it on, and quickly plug it back in. When a PC turns on, all the components momentarily take max power. This could be enough to trigger your PSU's fail-safe just as everything is powering on. Do the fans spin for a second and then stop?

Thanks for the reply

It has a Xtreme Gear XG-H800 800w PSU. After startup both of the case fans as well as the GPU fans continue to spin indefinitely.

TRENDING THREADS