[SOLVED] Reinstall Windows 10 on a NVMe M.2 SSD or keep it on a regular SSD?

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Suppose you have Windows 10 on a regular Samsung Evo SSD (250GB), are slowly running out of space and decide to buy a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD.

Should you reinstall Windows 10 to the newly installed M.2 NVMe SSD and install apps and games to the same M.2 SSD (and keep the other SSD obviously inside of the system for additional space etc...).

Or should you just keep Windows 10 installed on the regular Samsung Evo SATA SSD and just use the M.2 Nvme SSD as an additional drive / storage.

TL\DR if I stil confused you up to this point: Should you reinstall Windows on a M.2 NVMe SSD or just keep it running on a normal Samsung Evo Sata SSD aka the performance or rather difference is not worth / noticeable / worth it at all.

Solution
R5 1600 MSI B350 PC Mate, 2060. What specs do you need?
Mostly software development, rendering simulations and games..
Honestly, it was on sale for quite a good steal and my current setup has an issue which results in 2 SATA ports being blocked.
Flip of the coin.

I'd be inclined to leave the OS where it is.
Use the new drive for games and projects.
Suppose you have Windows 10 on a regular Samsung Evo SSD (250GB), are slowly running out of space and decide to buy a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD.

Should you reinstall Windows 10 to the newly installed M.2 NVMe SSD and install apps and games to the same M.2 SSD (and keep the other SSD obviously inside of the system for additional space etc...).

Or should you just keep Windows 10 installed on the regular Samsung Evo SATA SSD and just use the M.2 Nvme SSD as an additional drive / storage.

TL\DR if I stil confused you up to this point: Should you reinstall Windows on a M.2 NVMe SSD or just keep it running on a normal Samsung Evo Sata SSD aka the performance or rather difference is not worth / noticeable / worth it at all.
well i prefer to clean install the windows on the NVMe cause why not?

USAFRet

Titan

Whata re the rest of the specs for this system?
What do you use it for?

The difference, aside from space, is probably less than you think.

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Whata re the rest of the specs for this system?
What do you use it for?

The difference, aside from space, is probably less than you think.

Mostly software development, rendering simulations & scenes and games..
Honestly, it was on sale for quite a good steal and my current setup has an issue which results in 2 SATA ports being blocked.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Mostly software development, rendering simulations and games..
Flip of the coin.

I'd be inclined to leave the OS where it is.
Use the new drive for games and projects.

Solution

BTDT.
Moved from a 2.5 sata to a nvme m.2.
Perf wise for the stuff that I run Nada/zip.
Benchmark wise I'm 6x+ faster.
Your call how you want to config the disk just don't get your expectations too high.

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
BTDT.
Moved from a 2.5 sata to a nvme m.2.
Perf wise for the stuff that I run Nada/zip.
Benchmark wise I'm 6x+ faster.
Your call how you want to config the disk just don't get your expectations too high.
What does BTDT mean?
Which benchmark did you run?

Did you notice a difference in Speed&time while coping or creating (the same on both drives) zips?

USAFRet

Titan
Did you notice a difference in Speed&time while coping or creating (the same on both drives) zips?
In my use and system (specs below), I see ZERO real difference between SATA III SSD and an Intel 660p NVMe drive.

Typical use Adobe Lightroom.

Just after I put in the 660p, I did some direct testing.
A procedure that takes 15 seconds on a good SATA III drive (Samsung 840/850/860) also takes 15 seconds with the Intel 660p.

Even though the Intelsequential benchmarks at 4x faster than the SATA III drives.

Raw sequential speed is a very small part of what I (and you) do on a day to day basis.