Reinstall windows and keep all data

Sordyxy

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I have alot of games and files i dont want to delete but i want to reinstall windows beacuse its way slower than i first got it how do i do this?

Solution
Are you talking about windows 7/8/10?

Files are easy, programs are not.
You can use windows easy transfer to export your files and settings. After the install, you can import them back.

Programs that installed using the registry,( and virtually all do) will need to be reinstalled.
That is because a clean install creates a clean and empty registry. I understand that steam games can be handled.

If you have not yet done so, this would be an opportune time to put windows on a new ssd.
It makes everything so much quicker.

One reason windows gets slower is because of an accumulation of malware.
Try running malwarebytes free edition and see how much that cleans things up.

_Blink

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
You'll need to backup all the stuff you want to keep onto an external drive.

Then you format your computer, plug in external when you're done, copy data back onto your computer. :)
There's no other way around.

If you don't have external, but have 2 HDDs
You can put your data on a second HDD (if you have two, and there is enough space on the second one).
Then once you've formatted your C:// (main hard drive) you can plug in the second one again, copy the data across (to C://, and format D://

how to format
(Start -> right click Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -> Right click D:// -> Format)

Are you talking about windows 7/8/10?

Files are easy, programs are not.
You can use windows easy transfer to export your files and settings. After the install, you can import them back.

Programs that installed using the registry,( and virtually all do) will need to be reinstalled.
That is because a clean install creates a clean and empty registry. I understand that steam games can be handled.

If you have not yet done so, this would be an opportune time to put windows on a new ssd.
It makes everything so much quicker.

One reason windows gets slower is because of an accumulation of malware.
Try running malwarebytes free edition and see how much that cleans things up.

Solution