Question reinstall windows and keep drivers?

Aug 5, 2019
I want to reset my PC so it runs better and is faster, however, will windows uninstall my device drivers? (motherboard, gpu etc.) and is there a way to keep them? I have a custom built PC so it might be a little trouble to figure out the device drivers necessary for my computer, and I don't know if windows will automatically install them after resetting. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
A clean install of the OS will require you to reinstall all your drivers as well.
It is exactly like the very first time you turned it on.

The OS install will install at least the basic drivers needed to get up and running. Anything after that is all on you.

jackman9061

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Yeah it'll get rid of all of your device drivers, I've reset PCs with Windows 10 installed on them, it's a pain to have to also update Windows too. It might take your a few hours to reinstall everything, and there's no way of keeping the drivers as far as I'm aware. If you wan to, I do recommend using AVGTuneup,, first time users get a month of free use and you won't be asked to pay until the trial is done. It's a really good program that gets rid of unwanted files and frees up your storage. If AVGTuneup doesn't work you can always just reset your PC. I used it for awhile and it sped up my PC pretty nicely.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Why not try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file?

I never do a reset, refresh, or completely clean install without trying a repair install first. It is as close as you'll get to a clean install while retaining your files and programs, which includes drivers in my experience (because I have non-Microsoft ones for my Intel WiFi/Bluetooth Card and AMD Radeon graphics).

USAFRet

Titan
I want to reset my PC so it runs better and is faster, however, will windows uninstall my device drivers? (motherboard, gpu etc.) and is there a way to keep them? I have a custom built PC so it might be a little trouble to figure out the device drivers necessary for my computer, and I don't know if windows will automatically install them after resetting. Thanks.
What issues are you seeing that prompts you to do this full reinstall?