Reinstall Windows OS - Many Partition Questions

xaeriee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Trying to compare this to a Desktop, which I'm a little more familiar with.

On a physical Desktop if I were to re-install Windows I would use the customize install from the USB. I would expect to see 2 partitions, 1 system reserved and 1 primary, I would select the Primary partition and format, then use that partition to install Windows on. This would make the windows management console lit up with exclamation marks as drivers are gone. Then I'd go find all my drivers/software to install.

In my physical lab environment, I have Server 2016 and I'm trying to downgrade it to Server 2012 standard. There's two partitions, 1 is System Reserved, 2 is Primary. Where do I go from here?

Would I choose the Primary partition to install it on, or would that put two OS's on one partition?
Should I format and then install?
Or should I delete the Primary partition, create a new partition and install on the new partition? Would I need to install drivers on the server?

I performed this on a server that had 3 partitions and I didn't have to do anything software-wise to get it to connect to the network (other than assigning its static info). I didn't make note of the 3 partitions and which one I deleted... I just ran through it like I would a desktop and everything worked. Now I worry.

Edit: I went ahead and chose to Format the existing Primary partition, and install on that partition. Went great!

xaeriee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

Install on existing Primary partition that already has OS installed? It says it'll create a Windows.old. I probably don't want that.
Format existing Primary partition, then install?
or
Delete existing Primary partition, create new partition, install?

I'm trying to become more familiar with the repercussions or outcome of each, and come up with the best action to take for my scenario.