[SOLVED] reinstall windows store to windows 10?? help

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
hi all. i was an idiot and uninstalled windows store from my windows 10.. i am trying to reinstall it. but no luck. i really am trying to avoid a new install again as it will be a huge project.. i found this online on things to try using powershell.. and it didnt work out. this is what i did. i ran powershell as administrator.. and was told to use this command...

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

however when i ran this. i got an error of:

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:61
  • ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

any idea how to get windows store back ?? thanks in advance.

Solution
when i ran repair the last time. i went to reset and then it asked if i wanted to keep my files and my impression was as you said. it only replaced the windows files itself.. but when i got back into windows. a lot of my things were gone. and i DID select keep my files. so i have no idea why i lost them. but again i will try adding a new user and see what happens with that. thanks

as far as I know, the link from tenforums doesn't even go into reset.
did you look at this >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

all it does is copies a new version of win 10 over itself. It doesn't delete any files of yours.

I don't suggest resets, as they do break. If i was at that stage...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try this, it might restore the files that it couldn't find

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

what version of win 10 are you on??
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1909

if you are on that version, a repair install might fix it (only replaces windows back to base version of 1909, doesn't touch anything else. You only need cumulative updates to get to current again from here) - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
You could try this, it might restore the files that it couldn't find

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

what version of win 10 are you on??
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1909

if you are on that version, a repair install might fix it (only replaces windows back to base version of 1909, doesn't touch anything else. You only need cumulative updates to get to current again from here) - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

yes its 1909...but if i do a repair. a lot of my files are going to be gone yes????.. i think the last time i did a repair on my pc.. i said i wanted to keep my files.. well i still lost a lot of info i had and finally ended up doing a complete reset rather than try to figure out what it deleted.. is this going to be the case??

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try the 1st command?
it might fix it.
I thought about making a new user profile and seeing if the changes are global or just your current user - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

did you look at the link for repair install. All it does is replaces windows, all your applications and files should be there. Its not running reset or refresh. It uses a fresh installer to overwrite windows. It is very similar to a version update of windows and you don't lose anything on those.

I can't guarantee anything, i can't promise it will work but I haven't had anyone come back to me after suggesting it and saying it didn't

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
yeah i ran sfc and it found a couple of corrupt files and it said it rep;aired them succesfully.. .. i rebooted and the store is not back and i went and tried to run the command i started this thread with and it still says the same file is not there.. i can try adding another user and see what happens.. when i ran repair the last time. i went to reset and then it asked if i wanted to keep my files and my impression was as you said. it only replaced the windows files itself.. but when i got back into windows. a lot of my things were gone. and i DID select keep my files. so i have no idea why i lost them. but again i will try adding a new user and see what happens with that. thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
when i ran repair the last time. i went to reset and then it asked if i wanted to keep my files and my impression was as you said. it only replaced the windows files itself.. but when i got back into windows. a lot of my things were gone. and i DID select keep my files. so i have no idea why i lost them. but again i will try adding a new user and see what happens with that. thanks

did you look at this >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

all it does is copies a new version of win 10 over itself. It doesn't delete any files of yours.

I don't suggest resets, as they do break. If i was at that stage, I would just suggest clean install as they don't break as often.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're worried about losing your files on a Windows reinstall, that suggests a much bigger problem than your lack of Windows Store: that you're not actually backing up your important files properly. Remedy this situation before exploring this issue further; having your important files stored in one location means that's a question of when, not if, those files will become stored in zero locations. You should be able to completely format your OS drive and not lose a single file of important data 24/7/365.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015

I don't suggest resets, as they do break. If i was at that stage, I would just suggest clean install as they don't break as often.

well the video shows you can click on recovery... reset... save my files. .. ahh i see on that option it does NOT save your apps.. so thats why i kept losing stuff. i am trying to do a repair from an ISO on my desktop and THAT says it will save apps and personal file.s so we will see if it is a bust or not. will post later..

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
If you're worried about losing your files on a Windows reinstall, that suggests a much bigger problem than your lack of Windows Store: that you're not actually backing up your important files properly. Remedy this situation before exploring this issue further; having your important files stored in one location means that's a question of when, not if, those files will become stored in zero locations. You should be able to completely format your OS drive and not lose a single file of important data 24/7/365.

i create images of my partitions a couple of times a year.. the last image i created had the windows store already removed.. so when i just did a restore of the image i found this. ...i also back up my files onto another disk in between images

Last edited:

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015

ok i redid my partition using an ISO on my desktop. for sure i will keep that because THAT gives me the 3rd option of keeping settings,apps and files. i am not sure why in windows 10 that option is not listed under recovery. but i got it all redone and i have my store back now. thanks much :)

TRENDING THREADS