Reinstall windows xp no cddrive no fdd no usb boot

kikoamor

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I have an old toshiba laptop running on windows xp
cd rom busted, no floppy drive, bios not capable of booting from usb drive.
I wanted a clean install of windows xp. i have a windows xp xd a product key for the laptop another computer on my home network with working cd rom, i have 2 partitions on the drive of the old laptop. is it possible to boot to the second partition that will contain the windows xp installation files then run a clean install on the first partition? Please help. Thanks in advance

How to install Windows XP from a hard drive without using a floppy or optical drive.

kikoamor

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
hey thanks for the reply!

not gonna work for me though. I'm looking for some software based resolution to this issue.
I found out that you can boot from the second partition by changing some settings on the disk management if the secont partition has an OS. what i really want to know is if it is possible to boot to the second partition that will contain the windows xp installation files then run a clean install on the first partition.

You answered the question yourself. You said:

Your 2nd partition does not contain an OS. it contains the installation files for an OS.

kikoamor

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

yeah your right but cd doesn't contain OS too and can boot. microsoft has something like a pre-execution environment that can boot a drive and run installation from it just like how windows xp bootable installation cd does. this is the method im looking for only i need it on the second partition without removing laptop hdd. if anyone knows i would appriciate the info very much!! thanks in advance!!