jimrich

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hello:
I wiped Dell dimension 3000, win xp home ed. HD & reinstalled several months ago but feel I need to do it again due to over loading. The first time I did it, I failed to save a lot of important data and drivers before wiping HD so I was forced to go to another computer and down load drivers from Dell. I also did not know how to save and reuse many of my current programs.

How can I save and reuse programs such as: Service pack 3, several versions of Microsoft.NET framework and other programs that are in my computer now and that I needed when I reinstalled before? Can I save and reuse any .exe file? I am pretty sure I know how to use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard in my XP.

When I reinstalled before, I had to go on line (after a long struggle to get and install some important Dell drivers) and begin getting lots of updates, browsers, etc. and reinstall many programs from my present CDs - which was the easy part! I guess I am wondering what all I can save and reuse from my present collection of important apps. and programs in the HD that are not in a CD or need to be downloaded from the web. The Dell drivers are easy to obtain and store in a very large external HD along with just about any other thing I need to save from my current HD.

I found this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253022-32-reinstall-disk-wiping
very useful and will follow his recommendations this time.
thank you for your responses,
jim :)

Solution

darkmanmd

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

Hi,

Having no real idea where you are on this project, I suggest that you supply more information in order to get real assistance.

CPU. HD Size, Access to Externals Drive storage, RAM and anything else that you think would help these intelligent folks to help you.

Based upon what there is to read, I can offer you a couple of clues.

New Operation System installation: There really is no need to use an aftermarket program to prepare the drive for Operating System installation. If you utilize the original Dell OEM Windows XP Installation Disk it will allow you to do a NTFS format and allow you to partition or not partition hard drive. When Windows gives you the option to format the drive Select NEW installation use the FULL Format option not the quicky.

You are much better off partitioning your hard drive into separate volumes. C: for the Operating System, D: for Program Files, E: will automatically be assigned to the CD or DVD drive and you could use F: to store your pics, music and other files you want to protect in case the Operating system fails.

Go here ----> http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_02.htm To get answers related to nearly all installation issues. Take advantage of what you might read.

If you have already formatted your hard drive, any data on that drive is gone. Poof! If it the data formerly accessible on the drive is life or death, you can look for a reputable data recovery company to scrape the drive.

If you really need the data back Do Not Write (install XP or anything else) on the HD. In fact, if it were mine and the data was critical in nature, I would physically remove the drive from the computer to prevent accidental drive activity until you select a drive recovery service.

Saving installed programs. When you treat a hard drive as one partition which includes the operating system and then decide to reinstall XP Your whole HD and all the data went POOF during the formatting process.

Even if you had partitioned the hard drive into different volumes, you would have still lost access to all of the installed programs. Reason: Other than portable programs that work without installation, a portion of every program that you actually install onto a computer resides inside Drive C: Once you format and install a new Operating System the party is over.

BIG NOTE: However, had you partitioned the HD and saved all of your uninstalled programs, movies, pics, letters docs, dirty laundry; the lot, inside of a partition dedicated only to the storage of data (no program installations allowed) You would still have access to the all of that data, including things like Service Pack 3 even when doing a fresh installation provided that you directed Windows to install the new operating system in the same partition where it was originally installed. Typically Drive C:

How to get your programs back: Download what you need from the net and reinstall unless you have them saved on external media, DVD Disc, Thumb Drive or External HD. If so, reinstall from those media sources.

Drivers: Copy the Dell service tag number from its location on the tower and Go here, http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection type in your service tag number and get the right and latest downloads directly from dell.

Windows Service Pack 2 and 3: If your original Dell Windows installation Disk includes SP2 all you'll need to do after the fact is install XP SP3.

If SP2 is not included You can save time by getting complete versions of SP2 and SP3 directly from Microsoft Get XP SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe an SP2 here ---> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

Note: SP2 must be installed BEFORE (SP3)

Get XP SP3 WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe direct from Microsoft here---> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

At the end of the day use a good defragging program to keep your operating drive(s) in shape. Raxco make a good one and you're in luck, it's free. Raxco Perfect Disk. http://www.raxco.com/home/pdfree.aspx

Hopefully you got a handle now on what you have or might want to do.

Your welcome and good luck.

PS. If you find this to be the best answered offered mark it as such so this thread will close. Latez

Solution

jimrich

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
from darkmanmd:
Hi,

Having no real idea where you are on this project, I suggest that you supply more information in order to get real assistance.
>>> I haven't started yet.

CPU. HD Size, Access to Externals Drive storage, RAM and anything else that you think would help these intelligent folks to help you.
>>> Here's some of the specs: Drive: C Dell dimension 3000 39 GB NFTS
Model # ST340014A
Motherboard: 0K8980CPU: Intel Pentium 4
2.80 GHz
Memory: DDR Dual 512 MB

Based upon what there is to read, I can offer you a couple of clues.

New Operation System installation: There really is no need to use an aftermarket program to prepare the drive for Operating System installation. If you utilize the original Dell OEM Windows XP Installation Disk it will allow you to do a NTFS format and allow you to partition or not partition hard drive. When Windows gives you the option to format the drive Select NEW installation use the FULL Format option not the quicky.

You are much better off partitioning your hard drive into separate volumes. C: for the Operating System, D: for Program Files, E: will automatically be assigned to the CD or DVD drive and you could use F: to store your pics, music and other files you want to protect in case the Operating system fails.

Go here ----> http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_02.htm To get answers related to nearly all installation issues. Take advantage of what you might read.
>>> This seems like a real good idea - I'll do it when I reinstall.

If you have already formatted your hard drive, any data on that drive is gone. Poof! If it the data formerly accessible on the drive is life or death, you can look for a reputable data recovery company to scrape the drive.
>>> "Poof" happened the first time I reinstalled several months ago and I lost everything but the data wasn't important enough to recover.

If you really need the data back Do Not Write (install XP or anything else) on the HD. In fact, if it were mine and the data was critical in nature, I would physically remove the drive from the computer to prevent accidental drive activity until you select a drive recovery service.

Saving installed programs. When you treat a hard drive as one partition which includes the operating system and then decide to reinstall XP Your whole HD and all the data went POOF during the formatting process.

Even if you had partitioned the hard drive into different volumes, you would have still lost access to all of the installed programs. Reason: Other than portable programs that work without installation, a portion of every program that you actually install onto a computer resides inside Drive C: Once you format and install a new Operating System the party is over.

BIG NOTE: However, had you partitioned the HD and saved all of your uninstalled programs, movies, pics, letters docs, dirty laundry; the lot, inside of a partition dedicated only to the storage of data (no program installations allowed) You would still have access to the all of that data, including things like Service Pack 3 even when doing a fresh installation provided that you directed Windows to install the new operating system in the same partition where it was originally installed. Typically Drive C:

How to get your programs back: Download what you need from the net and reinstall unless you have them saved on external media, DVD Disc, Thumb Drive or External HD. If so, reinstall from those media sources.
>>> I have a very large external HD and a few good thumb drives so I plan to put as much as I can on ext. media.

Drivers: Copy the Dell service tag number from its location on the tower and Go here, http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection type in your service tag number and get the right and latest downloads directly from dell.
>>> I can do that and did it before but had to go to a Kinko's computer to get the drivers after I erased the Dell HD!

Windows Service Pack 2 and 3: If your original Dell Windows installation Disk includes SP2 all you'll need to do after the fact is install XP SP3.
>>>Yes, the Dell CD has sp 2 and I now have sp 3. Can these two programs (or any of my programs) be saved on the ext. HD and reinstalled from there?

If SP2 is not included You can save time by getting complete versions of SP2 and SP3 directly from Microsoft Get XP SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe an SP2 here ---> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

Note: SP2 must be installed BEFORE (SP3)

Get XP SP3 WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe direct from Microsoft here---> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

At the end of the day use a good defragging program to keep your operating drive(s) in shape. Raxco make a good one and you're in luck, it's free. Raxco Perfect Disk. http://www.raxco.com/home/pdfree.aspx
>>> I looked in Raxco but could see no "free" version.

Hopefully you got a handle now on what you have or might want to do.

Your welcome and good luck.

PS. If you find this to be the best answered offered mark it as such so this thread will close. Latez

>>> Thank you,
jim :)

jimrich

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hello:

I reinstalled windows yesterday using the Dell information and info from several web sites and forums. It went much better this time and all my files, settings and programs are back up and running very well. My mission was to eliminate whatever was causing my fan to run so high and so far this worked. Then, right after the reinstall, I ran across an article in a computer mag about reinstalling! Well, much of what I did was in the article with some tips about using free apps. to simplify the process - wish I'd seen that article first! My own back up apps worked well enough along with a very large external HD so all's well right now. I really appreciate all that everyone wrote here and will keep this info for future re-installs so thank you,
jim