Question Reinstalled windows 10, black screen + cursor

Malte Flammild

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Alright so I reinstalled windows 10, I downloaded windows tool, created a bootable USB with it, but also tried downloading the iso, and use Rufus myself. I install it on my M2 SSD which is 120 GB. It installs and I get to setup some settings not many. Almost right after login to Microsoft, which I skipped. Black screen appears, and only white cursor is visible. I've tried a lot, but it's limited because I only have CMD to fix it with. I can't login to the computer, it's not finished with the setup I'm guessing. Control alt delete does not work.
Really hope peps can help me with this one

Colif

Win 11 Master
So all it had done was create the partition on ssd and loaded windows?

what I think has happened is this
when you set up boot order, did you put USB as first in line and then boot drive?

• Your BIOS has boot override feature
  • Put the SSD you want windows on into 1st slot of boot order
  • put USB in PC while in bios (may need to put it in before startup for it to be seen on next step)
  • Go to Save & exit tab, and click Boot override. Then select the USB from list.

This will restart PC and boot from USB 1 time, and then after next startup it will use the Windows boot drive like expected and continue the install

Your manual - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z270x-ultra-gaming_e.pdf - look of page 39

Also, helps to only have 1 drive in PC when installing windows 10 as it likes to put Boot partition on other drives if its given the chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malte Flammild

Malte Flammild

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Alright I'll give it a try when I get home, I'm pretty sure this is what I did, but I'll try and plug others drives out, so only M2 is available. I will be in contact later, thanks mate
Should the usb be NFTS?