Question Reinstalled Windows 10, Now i can't access or delete windows apps files on other HDD

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Hello,
I had to reinstall Windows 10 as the 1809 update broke my install and after the reinstall i was unable to access windowsapps folder on my other drives and i'm unable to delete them, so i can't free up or use FH4, FH3 or FM7 which are installed on both drives, and with them installed i don't have enough space to install them again. it says i don't have permission and i try to grant myself permission but it says it is unable to and then tells me to edit the security settings for the folder, it then says the entry is corrupt and needs to be deleted an recreated but that isn't an option, i am unable to format the drives as they have all of my work, steam library, totaling around 6tb (two 3tb drives) Please help.
Thanks,
Gabriel John Caddy

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried to click on the folders on the other drives? What win 10 should do is show a pop up saying "do you want to take ownership of this folder" and if you click yes it gives you ownership. I did a fresh install a few months ago and that's what it did for me?

Howe did you reinstall? Clean install or just a refresh?

the windows apps folder is likely to need to be reinstalled, but you should be able to re use steam folders. If the folder that said you didn't have permission was the apps folder, its likely cause windows can tell what type of folder it is and who should control it, and thats not you. Its likely its controlled by Trustedinstaller and you don't mess with it, as windows won't work right if you do.

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
I have accessed the other files files and granted access, it was clean install, without the HDDs plugged in, and the space is still occupied by the folder and i have reused my steam folders

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Hello,
I typed this for my second drive, the whole process worked on my first drive but unfortunately now it just spits out this
Invalid parameter "/t"
I entered this
icacls E:\WindowsApps /reset /t
It worked fine for the first drive
Any ideas
Could it have anything to do with it being recognized as a external drive as it isn't running directly off the SATA controller, my motherboard has 3 horizontal facing ports 1 of which isn't running directly off the SATA controller, that is my E drive.