Reinstalled XP but have no sound

jupewah

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I recently re-installed XP on my computer. The device manager says that all my devices are up to date, however I don't get any sound, and my computer says there is no device installed. Before I re-installed the OS though, I did have audio feed and I haven't changed anything since. I have a Dell OU1325 motherboard if that helps the problem. Also, I've tried getting the drivers from the Dell site, but when I try to install, it tells me the "Strings were not found) or it redirects me to a web page where I get an error message.

Make sure Windows Audio Service is set to Automatic & Started. (Run services.msc) Scroll down to Windows Audio Double click, start the service. And it should be set to "Automatic"

jupewah

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Ok, I've tried that and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

You MUST first
install the "dell downloads manager"

Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, control panel, add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.

jupewah

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

My computer says that the download manager is missing required files, and won't let me download it. Also when I checked the control panel for audio files I found none.

jupewah

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

I downloaded the drivers suggested, but when I tried to install it told me that I was missing the required driver and to reboot my system. I rebooted my system and got the exact same message.