reinstalling after upgrade to insider preview from win 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
hi,
ill keep it brief

i installed windows 10 insider preview through the upgrade option from windows 8.1.
i am buying an ssd within the next week and would like to reinstall windows upon that.
i intend to burn the windows 10 iso onto a dvd/usb stick to install it.
obviously my windows 8 key has been upgraded after updating to 10.

as such should i write down this new key so it is a legitimate copy of windows and can receive the full update on July the 29th?

thanks
Daniel

Solution
It's not that the "key" will already be there. It's that when windows checks automatically online, or you manually activate by clicking the activation link on the System applet in control panel, your unique hardware ID string that's based off a combination of device id strings from your motherboard and other hardware, will show as already verified and should allow immediate activation if you reinstall.

Just in the minimal event that it doesn't, it's a good idea to also have your own record of the product key as well. You'll probably never need it, but it's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.
You should always document any product keys related to your software, whether it's for windows or another product. Relying on the company to keep track of these things is about as reliable as expecting the government to accurately and safely keep track of your documentation and payment records.

You may need the product key when you do the clean install, but according to Microsoft once you have activated the upgrade, your units hardware identification string is permanently attached to your installation and should be able to be reinstalled without it using the automatic activation process. I'd still keep a copy for my own piece of mind.

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

thanks for the reply,

so are you saying that the key will already be there? or will i need to change it in settings/update/activation ?

It's not that the "key" will already be there. It's that when windows checks automatically online, or you manually activate by clicking the activation link on the System applet in control panel, your unique hardware ID string that's based off a combination of device id strings from your motherboard and other hardware, will show as already verified and should allow immediate activation if you reinstall.

Just in the minimal event that it doesn't, it's a good idea to also have your own record of the product key as well. You'll probably never need it, but it's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.