[SOLVED] Reinstalling and reactivate Windows after motherboard upgrade?

arcticm

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
I have tried to gather as much information about this as I can but there are still some things I am not sure about. My Windows is retail and I have my license connected to my MS account. Apparently, to activate Windows OS after a hardware change, you would want to click on the "troubleshoot" button in the settings. But what I don't get is how I am supposed to access the settings, which is inside of Windows and part of the OS, before my OS is even reactivated. How will I be able to log into my administrator account, head to settings and reactivate my Windows if it isn't even activated in the first place?

I am also planning on doing a fresh install of Windows but I'm not sure when to do it. Will I be asked to do it when I boot up my pc for the first time with the new motherboard or am I going to do it after I have reactivated my Windows (with the troubleshoot activation thing in the settings)?
Thanks

Solution
You do the OS install with the new hardware first.
Then you get the licensing worked out.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

arcticm

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Ok, so if I got this right it is in the order:
Create flash media > Remove hardware, replace, > Boot on flash media, get the os started > activate once in (?)

Thanks for the reply

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
I'm in the same position and I have read that you can use the sysprep command before you do the upgrade. Also for first boot set windows to boot into safemode beforehand

USAFRet

Titan
I'm in the same position and I have read that you can use the sysprep command before you do the upgrade. Also for first boot set windows to boot into safemode beforehand
Yes, sysprep is sort of an option.

If you were doing a dozen systems in the office, that would be the go to option.
For a single system upgrade? A regular OS reinstall is just as fast, and guaranteed to work. Plus, it doesn't carry over several years of old gunk you have in that system.
Every once in a while, a clean OS is worth doing. A full system parts upgrade is one of those times.