Reinstalling FS9: things to do?

Have been getting the weirdest errors lately, e.g. "image
'iconexcl.bmp' cannot be loaded" followed by slow, painful CTD. I think
it is time to do a fresh install of FS9, which I have never attempted.
Who knows what I have accumulated?

I'm currently backing up my whole FS9 directory to another hard drive.
Heaven knows how long that will take! In the meantime, does anyone have
any advice for things to do in addition to "Uninstall Flight Simulator"
through the normal Windows uninstaller? Already made CD backups of all
my payware, keys.

That's it your all set. I just did it, everything works alot better.

Dennis O

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> Have been getting the weirdest errors lately, e.g. "image
> 'iconexcl.bmp' cannot be loaded" followed by slow, painful CTD. I think
> it is time to do a fresh install of FS9, which I have never attempted.
> Who knows what I have accumulated?
>
> I'm currently backing up my whole FS9 directory to another hard drive.
> Heaven knows how long that will take!

Why should it take long??? I back up my whole disc to another drive
once a week and it takes about an hour. That includes a heck of a lot
more than just FS.

John

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
Why should it take long??? I back up my whole disc to another drive
once a week and it takes about an hour. That includes a heck of a lot
more than just FS.

Guten Morgen Melissa,
thanks for your reply.
Günter

Hi Lawn Dart,

Are you sure you're not my sister/mother/niece/cousin, or something??

Oh, hang on a minute, you can't be - we land so differently!! :))

That's EXACTLY the logic/procedure I follow whenever I re-install
everything.

Regards,
John Ward
"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
>
> David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> Why should it take long??? I back up my whole disc to another drive
> once a week and it takes about an hour. That includes a heck of a lot
> more than just FS.

> For whatever reason, it took almost an hour. I think it ended up being
> around 6 gigs -- not including the MegaScenery files that were on
> another drive already.

Holy cow! Guess I'm a piker by comparison.

John

dallas

> David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> I think it ended up being
> > around 6 gigs -- not including the MegaScenery files that were on
> > another drive already.

Aw... that's so cute. An iddy biddy Flight Sim install of only 6 gigs. :)

Let's see, what mine is today..

Size on disk: 17.3 GB

Contains: 78,936 Files, 2,672 Folders

Wow... I didn't even know it was that big. :-/

boB, how big is your FS9?

Dallas

Dallas wrote:
>> David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
>> I think it ended up being
>>> around 6 gigs -- not including the MegaScenery files that were on
>>> another drive already.
>
> Aw... that's so cute. An iddy biddy Flight Sim install of only 6
> gigs. :)
>
> Let's see, what mine is today..
>
> Size on disk: 17.3 GB
>
> Contains: 78,936 Files, 2,672 Folders
>
> Wow... I didn't even know it was that big. :-/
>
> boB, how big is your FS9?
>
> Dallas

Yes I know we have this, is 'mine bigger than yours' thing every so often.
So here goes,

I seem to have size on disc 19.3 GB today

Contains 208,606 files, 2,753 folders.

I can't help thinking you must have miscounted your files Dally.

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

>"Quilljar"
>> I seem to have size on disc 19.3 GB today
>
>oh.... yours is bigger than mine.
>

>:)
>
>Dallas

Well, you started it...

38.8 Gb, 39.1Gb on disk, 176 185 files in 6171 folders

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta

dallas

"Katy Pluta"
> 38.8 Gb, 39.1Gb on disk

Whoa.

Hey, how can have a 38.8 Gb folder but it is listed as 39.1Gb on disk? Mine
said:

Size: 15.7 GB (16,893,453,678 bytes)
Size on disk: 17.3 GB (18,642,567,168 bytes)

What is the 1.6 GB difference?

Dallas

>Hey, how can have a 38.8 Gb folder but it is listed as 39.1Gb on disk? Mine
>said:
>
>Size: 15.7 GB (16,893,453,678 bytes)
>Size on disk: 17.3 GB (18,642,567,168 bytes)
>
>What is the 1.6 GB difference?

File system and cluster size I guess? I can't remember how I set up my
SATA RAID, small cluster size I think as there are many many small
size files so I did not want to lose too much space. There is only FS
on that computer BTW...

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta

dallas

"Katy Pluta"
> File system and cluster size I guess?

I can't believe I stumped ya! :)

Yeah, you probably got it right.. the disk says it uses up 17.3 GB of disk
space, but if you were to write it to a CD it would only use 15.7 GB of CD
space.

That would account for the reason they display both... both are useful
information.

DangerPuppy

Hi Varmit,

<Snip> "...What is the 1.6 GB difference?"

A mere technicality?

Do I get the cigar?

Regards,
John Ward