Question Reinstalling GPU each day

Mar 27, 2020
I have recently built my first PC with all brand new parts and had been working fine until a week later where after each night I would wake up and power on the PC and there would be no signal to the monitor as well as USB mouse/keyboard. I had tested the monitor, HDMI cable, keyboard and mouse which were fine then reinstalled RAM still the same. It wasn't until I reinstalled the GPU that it would connect back to the monitor and work as usual. It then began to continue to do this after being left off (or even sleep) for a long period of time. Does anyone know of any suggestions I could try so I don't have to open the case and keep taking out the GPU every day? All components straight out of the box, all drivers/BIOS kept up to date as well as clean installing GPU driver updates. I'm assuming it may have something to do with the PSU or perhaps a subtle setting that's defaulted. Other then that PC works fine and GPU works well on high detail games.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660ti Gaming X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold

PS. This is my first post so please let me know if I need some more info regarding the issue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tested another display like a TV to see if it does the same thing?

Have you tried turning things on in a different order, like PC on first and display few seconds later and vice versa? Have you tried replugging the Hdmi cable?

What monitor do you have and is it possible to try a Displayport cable?, in case GPU is somehow defaulting to DP.

Should at least see Bios post, regardless if drivers are installed.

Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Yes I have tested the display through the TV with no luck. I've also tried every combination of either being switched on first and replugging the cable at both ends with no luck.

I was also thinking the DisplayPort may have something to do with it but I'm currently using a Acer K242HL 60Hz monitor which doesn't have a DP. Obviously you can buy an HDMI/DP adapter but I don't have one I could test with.

Mar 27, 2020
So I've been testing this out the last week and just noting which way it was laid overnight and trying it first thing each morning. I never thought it had a problem with gravity as it was always firmly in place, no obvious drop, once booted spent the entire day standing and the GPU itself is quite short and light but was worth a try.

Day 1: Overnight flat, monitor signal first try
Day 2: Overnight flat, monitor signal second try
Day 3: Overnight tall, monitor signal second try
Day 4: Overnight tall, no monitor signal, GPU reinstall
Day 5: Overnight tall, monitor signal second try
Day 6: Overnight flat, no monitor signal, GPU reinstall not working

As you can see it did have a difference then after a few days not really. This morning however after leaving it flat overnight it did not have any signal to the monitor no matter how many times I reinstalled the GPU which usually works. I again tested cables, monitors and everything I could think of but now it currently does not connect to the monitor whatsoever...

Really frustrating considering it cost me 2k a few months ago and I've had this same issue after 2 weeks. It's just strange as once it's connected to the monitor everything is perfectly fine. I thought it may have been some Windows 10 Pro power setting but now I have no idea since I can't get it on at all.

Have been appreciating the help though!

Mar 27, 2020
Also should mention that the MSI mobo starts up with a red light on the CPU EZ Debug LED but turns off after a few seconds which I've heard is normal. Also tried to swapping the GPU to the second PCIE slot leaving the primary empty but no luck either.