Reinstalling large program without disk writes

Lumify

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I have a >200GB program I need to reinstall, and the data is currently on an external drive. The drive is old, and I worry that too many reinstalls (writing the whole 200GB) will shorten the drive life. I'm looking for a way to write only the registry changes, instead of the whole thing, so the program functions correctly. I could use pre-existing files maximize drive life.

Two possible solutions I've thought of:

In Linux, there's /dev/null, and if I had a similar target that functions as a directory, I could install to C:\...\null\program, then ctrl-f in regedit and replace all \null\program\ occurences to my actual location. The installer is dumb and doesn't check file consistency so this should work.

I could somehow backup the whole registry, run a regular install, then take a second backup. I could run the results through a difference script and create a non-diskwriting installer of the program, with only one final installation.

(The program is NI Komplete. The binaries and main program files are a few GBs, but the sound library is massive. It mostly works without a reinstall, but adding the libraries to each program takes forever, and there are still small issues.)

USAFRet

Titan

Unless you're reinstalling this 3 or 4 times a day, every day, that is a non-issue.

Why are you having to reinstall this so often?