[SOLVED] Reinstalling Mac OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oixide

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I wish to re-install Mac OSX on my Macbook Pro,

My Macbook Pro is a 13" model and the copy of MacOSX / Application Install DVD's say

"15-inch Mac Book Pro
Mac OSX Install DVD"

If I install this onto my 13" will it effect my system at all? I'm guessing not, however any insight is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
OS X install/restore disks that came with a Mac will only install on a Mac of the same model.
(retail copies will install on any Mac and as many times as you want them to. No copy protection at all on those)

What version do you currently have installed?
10.7 Lion can be reinstalled without any physical media by booting into recovery mode or whatever it is called.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I'm fairly sure that the machine won't install an OS that is lower than the one it shipped with. For example, if you bought a 2011 MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard), you couldn't use the install media that shipped with A 2010 MacBook Pro (Leopard).

Back up your files and give it a go I guess, that's always an efficient way to find out :)

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
OS X install/restore disks that came with a Mac will only install on a Mac of the same model.
(retail copies will install on any Mac and as many times as you want them to. No copy protection at all on those)

What version do you currently have installed?
10.7 Lion can be reinstalled without any physical media by booting into recovery mode or whatever it is called.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.