[SOLVED] Reinstalling Windows 10 in an SSD , but then the license...

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Alright, I have this old Skylake era laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 700) that's getting pretty slow. Awfully slow. I figure out it might be the fact the laptop still runs on a HDD. The laptop does have a M2 slot, so easy choice for me. I'm going to install an SSD and make the laptop feel brand new.

But, here's the catch. Instead of cloning the hard drive like usual, I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch instead, a fresh install on the SSD. The old installation is already too bloated, and the SSD is smaller than the HDD that's installed on the PC. The question is, what about the Windows license? Can I just download the installation media and install Windows on the SSD, or is there some sort of steps I need to go through to "transfer" the license from the HDD to the SSD (if there's anything like that). The laptop came with Windows 10 Home when I bought it years ago.

I just want to make sure before I reinstall it, don't want to go ahead just to get a Windows installation that isn't activated

Solution
A reinstall, in this same system just a different drive, incurs NO licensing issues.

The license is related to the motherboard, not the drive.

This is no different than if the original drive had simply died, and you are replacing it.
Just be sure you install Win 10 Home.

USAFRet

Titan
A reinstall, in this same system just a different drive, incurs NO licensing issues.

This is no different than if the original drive had simply died, and you are replacing it.

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018

That clears out any doubt I have. Thank you for the quick and concise answer.