Reinstalling windows 10 on a reformatted drive

Paddy Davison

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
Hi earlier today I decided to wipe my old laptop and reinstall Windows 10. I did this by removing the hard drive from the laptop putting it in my desktop and reformatting the drive and put it back in however it seems to be stuck on a loop of a status oxc000000f. where it says to install your Windows installation disc and restart your computer and when I do this it just repeats to this message I was really appreciate some help thank you

Solution
Hi

Not clear why you removed hard drive and re formatted in another PC

Did you remove partitions or just reformat windows partition?

What make & model of laptop and previous windows version would be useful?

There were several partitions on laptop hard drive depending of if MBR or GPT partitioning used and if recovery partition was provided by manufacturer.

Older Win 7 laptops often had equal sized C: & D: visible partitions and a hidden recovery partition

Is your Windows installation disk a DVD or USB memory stick?

You need to go into BIOS (or UEFI) to set boot device to DVD or USB

Unless laptop has a key to access boot menu at start up
Dell usually F12, others F11 or F8 or ESC

Laptop needs to bootup from your Windows disk...

USAFRet

Titan

Are you sure it is trying to boot from your Windows install disk? This sounds like it is still trying to boot from the HDD.

Hi

Not clear why you removed hard drive and re formatted in another PC

Did you remove partitions or just reformat windows partition?

What make & model of laptop and previous windows version would be useful?

There were several partitions on laptop hard drive depending of if MBR or GPT partitioning used and if recovery partition was provided by manufacturer.

Older Win 7 laptops often had equal sized C: & D: visible partitions and a hidden recovery partition

Is your Windows installation disk a DVD or USB memory stick?

You need to go into BIOS (or UEFI) to set boot device to DVD or USB

Unless laptop has a key to access boot menu at start up
Dell usually F12, others F11 or F8 or ESC

Laptop needs to bootup from your Windows disk then you probably need advanced options to ensure it installs Windows in correct location

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution