reinstalling windows 10 to new SSD

UnbrokenOath

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
I am soon adding a 500gb SSD, but I am very lost on how to reinstall windows onto it from my HDD.
I am going to reset windows 10 so it only has windows installed, which will make the process easier. But I dont know where to go from there. I want to reinstall onto the SSD rather than use a migrating software, but I dont know how.

If someone can help out a major noob that would be great! im looking for the simplest option, as I'm terrible when it comes to software. Thanks!

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Just connect the 500gb SSD by itself, boot from an installation disk, and install windows.
It is not overly difficult. You can skip entering a key if it's been activated on the hardware before and if you don't have an install disk create one with the MS media creation tool available online.

connect the other drive(s) later, you want a single drive connected when installing windows.

USAFRet

Titan

Here's a guide for you.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

As noted above, have only the new drive connected. When it asks for the license key, Skip.

Leave the old hard drive disconnected .
If you do not, windows will place a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive making it all but impossible to ever remove the hard drive.
Boot from the windows 10 install media(usb or dvd).
It will ask if you want to do a clean install on the ssd and give you the option to reformat the ssd first.

After the install, you can reconnect the hard drive and do what you will with it. Any files on it will still be available.
You can reformat it, or you can delete old windows folders.
Any apps will need to be reinstalled.