[SOLVED] Reinstalling windows 10

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
Hi guys i updated my bios drivers to the newest and the pc worked fine, but sine i want to reinstall windows will i have to update the bios drivers again.

Solution
Are you attached via WIFI? If you are, you have an add on card inside PC. As board only has Ethernet and its from Intel - best idea to update this would be the intel updater
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant or windows update as it would have newer versions already.

The newest drivers on ASrock site are 2 years old, its likely that windows 10 has newer versions of sound drivers.If the drivers were more recent I would have suggested you use App Store as it would have suggested newest drivers. Right now it would suggest older ones than win 10 likely includes already - https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z170 Pro4/index.us.asp#Download
When I reinstall what's the main drivers to install, sorry I'm new is it my motherboard drivers and what else?

First thing you do is your Windows Updates. When that is over you install the Motherboard Chipset drivers. Depending on your motherboard you can get them at the motherboard official website or AMD or Intel website if those are earlier version.

You install the GPU drivers after that and the LAN/WIFI and Audio drivers but those are optional and you do not need them for your system to work properly (Lan/Wifi and audio drivers).

Reactions: Netframed

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 includes drivers for most of your hardware including most LAN so all you would need to do afterwards is look for updated versions.

IS your computer a brand name or custom build?
If brand name, many of them have a support website you can use for the PC model that includes an auto update function
If its custom, what motherboard?
Almost all motherboard makers have a website which offers support for the mdoel, this will include LAN drivers so you are best going to it to get them.
If you have an add on wifi card, you would be best telling us what it is as I can go find a driver for it.

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
Oh I see them in Intel drivers I have an i7 6700k, the add on wifi card is that the card in my NBN box ? If so how do we update that because we have weak wifi in the house

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you don't know what motherboard you have, you can search for "System information", open up the app and on the front page next to Baseboard Product, it should show motherboard name. System model might also help to know if its a brand name PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you attached via WIFI? If you are, you have an add on card inside PC. As board only has Ethernet and its from Intel - best idea to update this would be the intel updater
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant or windows update as it would have newer versions already.

The newest drivers on ASrock site are 2 years old, its likely that windows 10 has newer versions of sound drivers.If the drivers were more recent I would have suggested you use App Store as it would have suggested newest drivers. Right now it would suggest older ones than win 10 likely includes already - https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z170 Pro4/index.us.asp#Download

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Man your awesome help, how do I know if I'm attached via wifi? Do you mean how I'm connected to the internet? Sorry learning this type of stuff
I don't actually know if you are or not, you were the one who mentioned slow WIFI connections in house so I assumed that was how you were connected.
Yes, how you connect to internet... but as I said, Win 10 has most of the drivers you likely need or it will go looking for them after the install.

right click start button
choose device manager
click the arrow next to Network adapters to expand menu - see below
bA98c8t.jpg

what is showing in there in regard to connections (no need to mention multiples of wan miniports
802.11ac = Wifi
Ethernet = cables attached to back of pc (I use this as its faster)

Last edited:

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
Oh ok yes we run the ethernet cable but my wife complains the wifi cuts out during watching Kodi on tv about 6 7 metres away, I'm reinstalling windows now will do everything you said and thanks so much for your help, if you have anymore good stuff to install let me know.

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
First thing you do is your Windows Updates. When that is over you install the Motherboard Chipset drivers. Depending on your motherboard you can get them at the motherboard official website or AMD or Intel website if those are earlier version.

You install the GPU drivers after that and the LAN/WIFI and Audio drivers but those are optional and you do not need them for your system to work properly (Lan/Wifi and audio drivers).

Hey sorry if I'm a pain but in the ASRock link you gave me how many of those Global downloads do I need? Do I install all 16 ? Or just mainly install INF DRIVER, INTEL ENGINE DRIVER, INTEL LAN DRIVER, INTEL RAPID STORAGE DRIVER, and REALTEK HIGH DEF DRIVER?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The newest drivers on ASrock site are 2 years old, its likely that windows 10 has newer versions of sound drivers

if you get any of them, grab the inf and intel management engine interface, windows likely has newer of the rest.

you don't need intel rapid storage tech driver