reinstalling windows 98

a friend GAVE me a computer that has 98 on it but has major virus problems. i
basically wanted to format the hard drive and reinstall 98. i tried using the
startup disk that came with it but it doesnt seem to boot from the disk or
let me enter startup. is this even the right disk to use to accomplish this?
just general instructions on how i can format the drive and reinstall an
operating system would be greatly appreciated.

For information on installing W98, go to:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

Make a new floppy start up disk per the instructions and then follow the
directions to a T. If you then have a problem, describe what it is, when it
occurs in the installation process and provide any error notices verbatim.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"co5j" <co5j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a friend GAVE me a computer that has 98 on it but has major virus problems.
> basically wanted to format the hard drive and reinstall 98. i tried using
> the
> startup disk that came with it but it doesnt seem to boot from the disk or
> let me enter startup. is this even the right disk to use to accomplish
> this?
> just general instructions on how i can format the drive and reinstall an
> operating system would be greatly appreciated.

"co5j" <co5j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> a friend GAVE me a computer that has 98 on it but has major virus
problems. i
> basically wanted to format the hard drive and reinstall 98. i tried using
the
> startup disk that came with it but it doesnt seem to boot from the disk or
> let me enter startup. is this even the right disk to use to accomplish
this?

You need:
1. Planning -- read Badour's documentation (other post).
2. Installation CD and its Product Key. If unrecorded you
may need to find it out from the PC's old Registry.
3. The right type of booting floppy (to start the system
in MS DOS with the CD drive enabled.) Several can be
downloaded free at www.bootdisk.com. You download
one EXE file then EXEcute it to write the many files
onto a new floppy. This enables your logging to the
CD drive to enter SETUP.EXE

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"co5j" <co5j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> a friend GAVE me a computer that has 98 on it but has major virus problems. i
> basically wanted to format the hard drive and reinstall 98. i tried using the
> startup disk that came with it but it doesnt seem to boot from the disk or
> let me enter startup. is this even the right disk to use to accomplish this?
> just general instructions on how i can format the drive and reinstall an
> operating system would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you have a cd with Win98 on it before you even start.
If not, borrow one or have someone make you a copy of one (win98SE if possible
if that is what is on your PC now).
Yes it is legal because you will be using your own product key.

Find and record the product key. I believe it is in the Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoductKey

What is the brand of the PC and what does it say on your 'startup disk'?
Is it a floppy or a CD?
To be able to boot from a floppy, you may have to go into the BIOS and set it
(Drive A:\) as the first boot drive.
Read and follow the excellent advice of Badour and Phillipson.