Reinstalling windows after mobo and cpu change?

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I have a broken intel board and im on a budget so im switching from intel to amd (ryzen specifically). Ive heard that during the switch i will have to reinstall windows etc. Is it possible to do this without reinstalling windows?

Solution

And whoever told you that it always works and is simply plug and play is incorrect.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it works, but with lingering issues you only find later.

If you've never seen it fail, you just haven't tried it enough times.
You will WANT to re-install Windows. Yes it is possible, but it will cause furstration more than anything. I would recommend doing a clean install. Not only are you switching motherboards, but you are going from Intel to AMD, so that will be even MORE drivers to worry about.

Again, you can just go without the re-install, but it will have so many errors, you would have wish you done it int he first place. Plus, you have to think about how you are going to activate Windows now since you are doing a hardware crash.

Dan28453

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

you do realize a lot of reviewers use one ssd tthats loaded with windows and games for multiple motherboards/cpus and gpus...............

USAFRet

Titan

And whoever told you that it always works and is simply plug and play is incorrect.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it works, but with lingering issues you only find later.

If you've never seen it fail, you just haven't tried it enough times.

Solution

You clearly don't understand how Windows work. I never said it didn't work, but it is possible that errors will come out. you also don't know if they pre-installed it without the viewer knowing...

vjekoslav

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Because you likely have drivers for the old mobo installed inside your current Windows installation, I'd recommend fresh install instead of updating drivers. Just because of the "possibility" of driver conflicts end errors you "might" have.

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
If i was just going to stick with intel id upgrade from a 6500 to a 7600 and a msi h110m (non k version because a cooler+oc compatible mobo is too expensive) would that be an option? Ive heard that ryzen doesnt perform as well in total war games and other cpu intensive games

Well it's not that the ryzen doesn't perform well, it's just intel is slightly better with IPC, but as a overall package, I would swing over to Ryzen. I wouldn't go with a 7600K since you really not going to see the jump after the 6500. You could just get a B250 which is still cheaper than most B350s (Ryzen) and actually stay on the platform. However, if you already have a 6500, why not just stick with the H110 chipsets? It's under $50.

In that case, going with a ryzen chipset will come out better as it performs pretty much on par in gaming with the i5, and passes it outside of gaming.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
captaincharisma is correct. If it's Windows 10 you can activate normally, as after the anniversary update your activation key links to your microsoft account, not just your hardware. Which means if all switches over well, you shouldn't need to reinstall, and you can simply reactivate.

However the other guys are right in that errors can often occur, and windows may fail to boot. In which case putting on a Windows 10 fresh installer and activating with your microsoft account will be the best route.

Ideally, fresh install is always better as it also clears some of the junk from your system and prevents risk of error occuring after the hardware change.

its not always guaranteed that windows will boot after replacing a major part like a motherboard. especially when your switching from an intel architecture to an AMD one