Reinstalling windows on a new build

iRambL

Honorable
Jun 23, 2016
I am hoping I didn't screw this up with my new build. So I ended up building a new system and dropping an older SSD and HDD in my build because it was more convenient at the time and didn't have the money for new drives at that time. I am getting a new SSD and HDD this weekend to do a full reinstall.

My question stems from all of the posts I've seen where people say that it's bad for new systems to run older drives. I am hoping I didn't mess up a brand new system with older drives but don't know if I should reset anything in my bios wipe anything to do a fresh install on the new drives that I have.

The only new things in my system were my motherboard, cpu, cooler, and RAM. My GPU was transplanted with a fresh install from my other PC as well as my PSU.

But I am curious if I may have messed up anything with the older drive setup. New drives come in tomorrow so will be setting up the os on an m.2 and another HDD for storage.

Solution

Yes, a clean install is the preferred way to go.

Have only the new drive connected when you do this.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

or.at2497

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
everything is perfectly fine. i am familiar with installing windows on both new and old drives and doing it almost on a weekly schedule (not that im happy with it),u can calm down and perform whatever installation u want on the new disks. i recommend to use a migrating program so u wont need to start your pc from scratch but continue from where u left las time but its upon to u.
by the way, no bios settings are neede unless your new m.2 runs nvme protocol, then u should consider to change the protocol in the bios and make sure it runs highest pcie lanes as possible. if it is sata based then u shouldnt worry.
good luck:)

USAFRet

Titan

No no no.
Migration is no different than attempting to use the old physical drive.

Strongly not recommended.

USAFRet

Titan

Moving a drive from one system to another has 3 possible outcomes:

1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you're chasing little issues for weeks.

What OS is this?
The system seems to run fine with the old drive and OS?
What is the specific make/model/size of the new m.2 drive?

iRambL

Honorable
Jun 23, 2016

I sort of want to do a fresh install since this drive is very clustered with years of old crap on it. I can back up the files that I need on a flash drive but would a fresh install be better for a newer system to clean out some of the old clutter?

iRambL

Honorable
Jun 23, 2016
[/quotemsg]Moving a drive from one system to another has 3 possible outcomes:

1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you're chasing little issues for weeks.

What OS is this?
The system seems to run fine with the old drive and OS?
What is the specific make/model/size of the new m.2 drive?[/quotemsg]

I'd go with #3 there's literally issues that pop up here and there but boots and runs fine usually. New M.2 is a 250gb 960 Samsung Evo. Storage will be a 2Tb Seagate firecuda.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, a clean install is the preferred way to go.

Have only the new drive connected when you do this.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution

mgallo848

Commendable

I agree 100%

Make sure you only connect the hard drive that will have the new Windows installed until it's completed. Once Windows is done installing, then connect the second drive.