[SOLVED] Reinstalling windows, user got changed ?

Jun 26, 2020
I reinstalled windows using rufus to create an ios file (after trying to use a usb to reinstall which wouldn't work.) Windows is able to load now and when I click on my hard drive all my files are there. There's a file called Users which has my old user and all the files on it, and I was wondering how to make it my default user again.

Solution
There's a file called Users which has my old user and all the files on it, and I was wondering how to make it my default user again.
You can't. Even though that was you on that PC, this PC can tell it wasn't created by the same user account.

You can only have one Users folder and you already have one on your C drive. Its a chicken & egg thing, your user cannot exist without a User folder for it to be in.

You can't use that folder now. You can maybe copy some of its contents but you are better off not trying to use anything in it.
to avoid permissions problems, try this
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose...

Colif

Win 11 Master
There's a file called Users which has my old user and all the files on it, and I was wondering how to make it my default user again.
You can't. Even though that was you on that PC, this PC can tell it wasn't created by the same user account.

You can only have one Users folder and you already have one on your C drive. Its a chicken & egg thing, your user cannot exist without a User folder for it to be in.

You can't use that folder now. You can maybe copy some of its contents but you are better off not trying to use anything in it.
to avoid permissions problems, try this
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to move to USB or hdd

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a file on Onedrive that every time I open it I get some warning about someone else making it and it messes with my logon as I used a different logon method on that PC so its expecting a password but I use a PIN now. I need to remake that document so hopefully my account getting messed up every few days will finish one day next year.

TRENDING THREADS