Reinstalling windows with multiple hard drives

caa8788

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hello everyone,

I recently returned from a short stint on the west coast. During that time, my family was given access to my desktop computer. Unfortunately for me, they were not as careful as they should have been. I was informed upon my return that they ran into problems with possible maleware and spyware. After attempting to correct the problems unsuccessfully I've decided that it would just be best to reinstall windows 7. I current store all my important files on three separate drives, and unfortunately that is 4.2 terabytes of data. I do not have enough storage space to save all of those files externally at the moment. Here is where we get to the question:

If I reinstall windows to my dedicated system drive [C:] will the files on my other drives be untouched? I can't really afford to lose any of my data from the storage drives but my system drive only serves the purpose of being a system drive and I don't mind wiping it out. So it safe?

P.S. - If anyone can provide any useful tutorials I would be grateful.

Solution
Yes to all the above and after you re-install windows (be sure to run windows update until there are no more essential or recommended updates), chip set drivers (for MB devices), video and other device drivers, then plug the other dives in. They should be seen as before by windows. You may need to run update a few more times after they are recognized. You will also need to re-install all programs, games and third party utilities.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Yes to all the above and after you re-install windows (be sure to run windows update until there are no more essential or recommended updates), chip set drivers (for MB devices), video and other device drivers, then plug the other dives in. They should be seen as before by windows. You may need to run update a few more times after they are recognized. You will also need to re-install all programs, games and third party utilities.

Solution