[SOLVED] Reinstalling windows

jm247

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Hi,

I'm just about to install a new motherboard (I've had persistent pc issues for a while and I'm pretty sure it was my old motherboard so I've got a replacement - and it's a different model from the old).

I've read that I need to backup all my files because when I reinstall windows it will wipe everything - but I wondered if this would work instead? (I don't think I have a spare hdd with enough space to backup anyway).

In my pc I have a hdd and a ssd, if I put everything on my hdd and leave that unplugged, then reinstall windows on my ssd, that should work right? And I can then just plug the hdd back in, keeping all my old files without having to back anything up?

Also, if I'm keeping all my old files, including the old windows files, will that run into problems when I've reinstalled windows?

Thanks a lot for any help
James

Solution
if I put everything on my hdd and leave that unplugged, then reinstall windows on my ssd, that should work right?
This is basically what a backup IS.

Also, if I'm keeping all my old files, including the old windows files, will that run into problems when I've reinstalled windows?
Likely not, unless those files contain malware for example. Drivers and executable software will be linked and booting with your new C drive.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
if I put everything on my hdd and leave that unplugged, then reinstall windows on my ssd, that should work right?

Likely not, unless those files contain malware for example. Drivers and executable software will be linked and booting with your new C drive.

Reactions: jm247
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you link your windows account to an email address before the change?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

just make sure the hdd isn't included in the boot order of the bios on motherboard as since it still has a boot partition, there is always the off chance ssd doesn't work one day and you suddenly find yourself in a windows that seems older & slower than it was before :)

Reactions: jm247

jm247

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017

Oh ok thanks that makes sense

jm247

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Did you link your windows account to an email address before the change?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

just make sure the hdd isn't included in the boot order of the bios on motherboard as since it still has a boot partition, there is always the off chance ssd doesn't work one day and you suddenly find yourself in a windows that seems older & slower than it was before :)

I'm not sure if it's linked but i'll check before I do the install thanks