[SOLVED] Relationship between Display refresh rate and Game FPS

Jun 21, 2020
I recently bought an LG Ultrawide monitor which has a max 60 Mhz refresh rate and doesnt have Fsync or Gsync
Even more recently I bought a PC that can push out 200 FPS on some games.

Because my monitor is constrained by 60 mhz, does that mean its pointless gaming at 200 FPS (or anything above 60p FPS) because the monitor wont support anything over 60FPS?

Solution
Disregarding Variable Refresh Rates, there is no correlation between FPS and the monitor refresh rate (which is why VRR is becoming a thing.)

FPS is simply a measure of how many frames a GPU creates over a second. The following is an example of 60 FPS:

Frame created
Display requests new frame
Frame sent to Display
[Repeat 59 more times]

The following is also an example of 60 FPS:

Frame created
[repeat 59 more times]
Frame #60 sent to Display
[repeat 59 more times]

In the first example, 60 unique frames are sent to the display. In the second, ONE is. Both examples will report 60 FPS, as 60 frames are created over a one second timespan. [An extreme example sure, but it gets the point across].

What VRR...
When running 200FPS on 60Hz screen, you'll get noticeable screen tearing artifacts.

Tearing_%28simulated%29.jpg

Disregarding Variable Refresh Rates, there is no correlation between FPS and the monitor refresh rate (which is why VRR is becoming a thing.)

FPS is simply a measure of how many frames a GPU creates over a second. The following is an example of 60 FPS:

Frame created
Frame sent to Display
[Repeat 59 more times]

The following is also an example of 60 FPS:

Frame created
[repeat 59 more times]
Frame #60 sent to Display
[repeat 59 more times]

In the first example, 60 unique frames are sent to the display. In the second, ONE is. Both examples will report 60 FPS, as 60 frames are created over a one second timespan. [An extreme example sure, but it gets the point across].

What VRR tries to do is simply have the monitor draw a frame as soon as it's created, without relying on a fixed refresh window.

Solution