Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Gold
RAM: 64gb (4x16) GSkill TridentZ NEO 3600 Mhz

I built this system a few weeks ago because I came into some money and was finally able to afford an upgrade. I has since just frozen on me completely 5 or 6 times in total, every few days. Everything will stop moving. I have tried playing a video that was running when it happened once, but nothing responded, so it looks like it's not just the visual part failing. The fan speed doesn't change. It looks like it's still running, nothing changes except that I can't actually do anything. The most surprising part is that every time it happens, it doesn't really seem to be under any load. Might be a coincidence, but I have done gaming and editing/rendering, and it's done all that without any problem.

I have built a few computers in the past years, usually for other people, and at this point I am relatively confident that I constructed everything correctly. I have double checked all the cables, the BIOS is up to date, all my drivers are updated. My temps seem to be fine too. Idle my CPU hovers around 50 and under load (3d rendering) it's gotten near but never over 90 (Celcius). My GPU is between 50 and 60, never really going far beyong 60 under load. Although considering that it's usually happened without there being any significant load, I doubt overheating is the problem in any case.

Reactions: gammonGo

signum_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
did you do a fresh os install for the build?
ssd or hdd?
test with just 2 stick of ram?
Fresh OS install, yes. Windows 10 Home on a 1TB FireCuda 520 m.2 ssd. I have another 2TB intel m.2 and a 4tb seagate hdd for storage. I was hoping I could solve this without testing by using less ram, since it only happens a few days, but I suppose using 32 instead of 64 gigs isn't really the end of the world lmao. Thanks anyways, will give feedback in a few days I guess.

signum_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
did you do a fresh os install for the build?
ssd or hdd?
test with just 2 stick of ram?
Ok so it just happened again, though I have noticed something new. The PC was running while I was doing other stuff, this was the first time it happened while I wasn't actively using it. So what happened this time was, the twitch stream that was open was stopped and the clock in the corner was frozen. It was around an hour behind (probably when whatever happened happened). I was confused by this so I sat down and tried to check what was wrong. I was able to minimize the chrome tab and like 3 seconds after I started moving my mouse, everything completely froze just like it normally does.

Mar 24, 2021
Ok so it just happened again, though I have noticed something new. The PC was running while I was doing other stuff, this was the first time it happened while I wasn't actively using it. So what happened this time was, the twitch stream that was open was stopped and the clock in the corner was frozen. It was around an hour behind (probably when whatever happened happened). I was confused by this so I sat down and tried to check what was wrong. I was able to minimize the chrome tab and like 3 seconds after I started moving my mouse, everything completely froze just like it normally does.
Hey, have you found a fix yet? I have been encountering a very similiar problem. PC started acting weird for like a 4th time in 2 weeks, I can open task manager but it doesnt refresh anything. I can also click on apps but it does nothing and task bar doesnt really respond. I also don't even use WallpaperEngine (some people were thinking it was that app causing the problem...) I will test memory but if that works out good im really lost on what to do lol. I even freshly installed OS.

Mar 22, 2021
steelseries arctis 3, can that really be a problem? I dont use the steesleries app to, and never installed it...
I'm not sure. I'm also having strange stuttering and at the moment I'm investigating the headsets since it appears multiple people have an issue with HyperX Cloud Flight II wireless headsets. Read on another forum that apparently the drivers of headsets with soundcard in dongle or integrated in themselves could be conflicting with the motherboard onboard sound card.
But your problem seems to be a bit different than mine :( hope you will be able to fix it man

Mar 24, 2021
I'm not sure. I'm also having strange stuttering and at the moment I'm investigating the headsets since it appears multiple people have an issue with HyperX Cloud Flight II wireless headsets. Read on another forum that apparently the drivers of headsets with soundcard in dongle or integrated in themselves could be conflicting with the motherboard onboard sound card.
But your problem seems to be a bit different than mine :( hope you will be able to fix it man
Yeah, I hope you find a fix too, i have been having almost and identical problem to the creator of this thread. It started around 1 week ago, computer just froze up, I could click and do stuff but nothing would really respond and no error or anything. I could open task manager, but the charts wouldnt refresh or anything, and I also can't close it anymore, so I need to phisicaly power of computer. Also the task bar doesn't really work. But like 3/4 times it happened when I was not actively using the PC, maybe just had twitch running in background or a game client or something similiar. Also my benchmarks and stress tests look prety promising, only thing left for me to do is do a memtest86 which I probably will in some days. If that happenes to find a problem, good, but if not I am pretty much lost, cuz I already reinstalled Windows, updated everything (maybe there is a problem with Nvidia drivers, but can't really find anyone that posted something about it...) Lets hope for the best!

signum_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Yeah, I hope you find a fix too, i have been having almost and identical problem to the creator of this thread. It started around 1 week ago, computer just froze up, I could click and do stuff but nothing would really respond and no error or anything. I could open task manager, but the charts wouldnt refresh or anything, and I also can't close it anymore, so I need to phisicaly power of computer. Also the task bar doesn't really work. But like 3/4 times it happened when I was not actively using the PC, maybe just had twitch running in background or a game client or something similiar. Also my benchmarks and stress tests look prety promising, only thing left for me to do is do a memtest86 which I probably will in some days. If that happenes to find a problem, good, but if not I am pretty much lost, cuz I already reinstalled Windows, updated everything (maybe there is a problem with Nvidia drivers, but can't really find anyone that posted something about it...) Lets hope for the best!
My problem isn't quite the same as yours though. I can only move my mouse for a few seconds before everything just stops working. I did in fact have a few days of rest when I tried not using Wallpaper Engine, but I'm pretty sure that was a coincidence since today it has started that I get bluescreens every time I put my ram under load. I have disabled XMP in the bios and it seems to be able to take load again, but my next step will be turning xmp back on and testing all the ram sticks and slots separately to see if it's just one faulty stick. That would be the best case scenario obviously since I would only need to replace that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS