Relax, a Cyber War May Never Happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTT

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Cyber warfare is real, on going, and state sponsored. States just don't attention whore like hacker groups do.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I suppose war is a term that depends on the target (a whole country with no distinction) and the motivations. Just like Biological, chemical, nuclear wars, cyber war is another kind of war. Getting too orthodox on semantics with cyber-war it makes little sense, after all, crashing 2 planes (terrorism) is an act of war...

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
It depends on what your knowledge level of IT is.
You can design software to damage hardware and case drives holding high-level classified and security based information to be destroyed.

I remember a couple years ago in a class at RIT, there was a malware program that would make drives spin faster at certain times, causing abnormal mount of heat and ruining the platters.

G

@amstech
because security sensitive highly classified information is held online with no backup strategy what so ever.........

@CTT
i believe if state sponsored hacking was taking place what better smokescreen then to use those "attention seeking hacker whores"

@killerclick
it takes years to covertly acquire the materials and then construct a weapons grade centrifuge, whereas it only takes a large sum of money to acquire scientist with the know how to utilize said centrifuge, killing a scientist will sent them back a few months, damaging and destroying the centrifuge can set them back years, now if this was not a covert nuclear program that would be a complete different kettle of fish

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
this isn't news! this is an opinion of some college kid speculating definitions on new terms and placing too much faith in old terms first of all things change, definitions change... get with the times... second of all this is no blog, last i checked this is suppose to be a news article, so why is something like this even being posted?

and lastly another reason why this shouldn't have been posted is due to the fact that information can always be potentially leathal. lack of information can be too... you also have to remember that leathality also doesn't have to be in regaurds to a person, or even a living thing i.e. (faction, nation, country...)

G

@digitalgriffin

because someone thought it was a smart idea to let you control nuclear reactors from the internet.......

G

Make no mistake, countries, companies, et al. are enduring a cyber war today. Mr. Rid can "believe" what he likes in the UK. There is no question in the US; the Pentagon has already established that "computer sabotage coming from another country can constitute an act of war, a finding that for the first time opens the door for the U.S. to respond using traditional military force." No need to alter definitions... and YES an attack on a nations' critical infrastructure, fatalities or not is an act of war.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355623135782718.html

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
for those who watched die hard 4.0, this kind of "cyber war" MAY possibly happen ;)
but of course, people need tragedy to be happened first, to make them prepared.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
for those who watched die hard 4.0, this kind of "cyber war" MAY possibly happen ;)
but of course, people need tragedy to be happened first, to make them prepared.

The government really needs to get better at Internet security. If these Anti-Sec guys could bring down Google and PayPal if they wanted to, couldn't Chinese hackers? It would be pretty easy to cost the U.S. economy billions if you shut down the top 10 online retailers to the extent PSN network got shut down. Really, the potential for serious damage is huge and cyber sabotage is a much more realistic threat than terrorist bombers.

I'd call the current situation worldwide as "cyber ambushes" or "cyber attacks" but not a war.

However, considering how easy it is to bring down some of the most important lifelines in the US (i.e. power grid) I think a rogue nation will happily engage in cyber warfare if required.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
The key is what constitutes the "act of war". Historically, in 19th and most of 20th century if ambassador of one country would criticize host country politics and openly suggest what host country government should do was considered open act of war.

Status
Not open for further replies.