Relay signal down hill

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Group,

My parents live in a low spot or as Chris Farley would say "DOWN BY
THE RIVER" (no van).

I would like to know if anyone has successfully relayed a signal from
a point about a quarter mile from their home?

I am thinking a router with the 19dbi antenna hooked to it and a 12dbi
hooked to an accesspoint plugged into the router with CAT5.

Am I nuts? OK, don't answer that.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

gmullen@netins.net (Gary) wrote in

> Group,
>
> My parents live in a low spot or as Chris Farley would say "DOWN BY
> THE RIVER" (no van).
>
> I would like to know if anyone has successfully relayed a signal from
> a point about a quarter mile from their home?
>
> I am thinking a router with the 19dbi antenna hooked to it and a 12dbi
> hooked to an accesspoint plugged into the router with CAT5.
>
> Am I nuts? OK, don't answer that.

Any trees?

If not, it should be pretty straight forward.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
<< snip>>

> Any trees?
>
> If not, it should be pretty straight forward.

No trees. I am looking at a bridge and 2 cantennas. Right track?

gmullen@netins.net (Gary) wrote in news:572a59a8.0409211840.4810d120
@posting.google.com:

>> Any trees?
>>
>> If not, it should be pretty straight forward.
>

> No trees. I am looking at a bridge and 2 cantennas. Right track?

Sure, that should do it.

Or you can buy a directional antenna on eBay. If you still have reception
problems, you can upgrade to high-powered (200mw) WiFi equipment (Netgate
and Dlink have such equipment) or purchase an amplifier simliar to the ones
on RFlinx.com.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)