Release Date for Poly?

G

Hmm

Where will Poly be flying?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think amdmeltdown has token the AMD building + personal hostage. No release date yet till amdmeltdown gets his demands.

LOL

Northwood P4 + i845(brookdale)+ 1gb PC100 SDRAM + SCSI3 640 +ATi Radeon 2 = Dream Team :cool:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have heard that he wired the building with high level explosives. Employees, women, and children be damned! He plans on blowing AMD headquarters skyhigh!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

AMD is holding back Palomino from the desktop segment until they're finished milking customers with thunderbird. When AMD first set a release date for palomino they didnt realize that the thunderbird could go as fast as it is. In explanation, AMD recently figured out how to squeeze more MHz out of thunderbird (AXIA stepping) so rather then waste money switching fabs over to Palomino now, they are milking a few more dollars from the good ol tbird. But, the AXIA stepping tbird seems to be maxing out at around 1.5GHz and we should see palomino shortly after.

G

Also AMD is focusing its efforts on releasing Palomino 1.3, 1.4GHz to the mobile segment now because Intel is weak in that area. Intel is having a hard time supplying 1GHz cpu's to the mobile segment and the P4 is far from ready. AMD wants to take advantage of this and release Palomino asap to capture the mobile market.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Where did you hear about a difficulty supplying 1GHz P3s? Dell has these for sale in notebooks.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know if it is fair to call it "milking".... maybe. It is no different then Intel, they first plan to release there tulatin core ( 1.13 ) in the mobile platform, then later introduce it to the desktop market as well.
So, if "milking" does apply then they both are equally guilty.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and besides, how many other oem's can sell you a 1 ghz P3? its the same story as the desktop version when it first came out. you couldnt find one for a couple months after its "release".

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
of course this wouldn't be a *true* Tom's Hardware CPU forum thread if we didn't mention that AMD is better than intel or vice versa. Just typical... But I forget some of you all seem to be sooth sayers and experts at everything involving micro processors, business and logistics... LOL Sheesh, could we talk about ANYTHING ELSE?!

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

G

<<could we talk about ANYTHING ELSE?!>>

Last time i checked this was the "CPU Forum" so we talk about CPU's in here.. if you dont like it then please go elsewhere.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and surprise surprise you seem to do nothing but post about our posting. if you have something to discuss, then take it there. if not then dont read these posts.

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>