[SOLVED] Reliability monitor saying windows is never shut down properly.

Nov 30, 2019
I always shut down my desktop pc by going to the power menu and selecting shut down. The screen displays the "shutting down" message and then goes black and my computer shuts down shortly after, no problems there. When I reboot I have no problems or error messages either. However, when I go under control panel > maintenance > reliability history, I notice that every single time I shut my computer down over the past 2 weeks or so the reliability monitor has an error message saying the shutdowns were unexpected and not done properly. I have no idea why this is and I would never have known if I hadn't checked the reliability monitor. Anyone have an idea how I might fix this? I tried disabling fast startup but that didn't solve the issue. I also ran the system file checker and it said nothing is out of order. Otherwise my computer is fine and I can use it to game/do work without any hitches, just hoping I can solve this so I don't keep getting these messages.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!

Solution
Look in Update History.

If you right-click the errors does the history provide any additional information?

Any continually failing updates?

My first thought is that an update of some sort or some housecleaning effort is trying to run as Windows properly attempts to shut down but the update causes a crash.

Look at what all is being run in the background via Task Manager. Could be some unwanted or buggy app responsible.

Check Task Scheduler as well. All sorts of things therein. (Just look and explore. No changes until there is some specific reason to justify that change.)

Event Viewer (although more cumbersome) may also be helpful.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Update History.

If you right-click the errors does the history provide any additional information?

Any continually failing updates?

My first thought is that an update of some sort or some housecleaning effort is trying to run as Windows properly attempts to shut down but the update causes a crash.

Look at what all is being run in the background via Task Manager. Could be some unwanted or buggy app responsible.

Check Task Scheduler as well. All sorts of things therein. (Just look and explore. No changes until there is some specific reason to justify that change.)

Event Viewer (although more cumbersome) may also be helpful.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS