Reliability vs Performance; Gaming Xeon

Myrdin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
After getting some advice here concerning a new build I decided to reevaluate the whole system. My current computer is a half-decade-old Core 2 Duo that has outlasted two other computers in the household. This got me thinking about ways to maximize the reliability of gaming systems (including the one I intend to build soon). Most modern configurations seem to have mediocre lifespans.

The Xeon E3-1231v3 with ECC memory on a C220 series motherboard seems logical for a reliable midrange build. The recent Puget Systems test on ECC memory seems to indicate it's a good idea. Even a couple percent lower framerate would be worth it to me for significantly better long term stability.

The trouble is that there just isn't much data available. PC Part Picker only has two C220 series motherboards listed! I can't even find a definitive answer on what chipsets will support the ECC memory. Some Z97 based motherboards are marketed for the Xeon E3.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. I'm open to other reliable builds but please let me know why your suggestion is better.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month
Budget Range: Roughly $1K, willing to go higher for a good reason.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, streaming, film editing.
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Complete build
Parts Preferences: Non-Asus preferred (warranty issues)
Overclocking: NO
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 or 1920x1080

Solution
The Xeon 1231 v3 is a great GP CPU. It's a locked i7 with a disabled iGPU and some other instructions enabled. Xeons will fit in a LGA1150 slot, so even H81 boards will work, but I would start with a H97. You do not need ECC for gaming, ordinary DDR3-1600 CL9 or less will be fine and inexpensive.

Your long-term issue will be GPU life. People are still using good Intel CPUs generations old and the LGA775 socket. However, no-one with a choice is using a GPU from that era. Games are getting more and more graphics intensive, and modern gaming systems are GPU limited anyway.

Start with one top-end GPU now, and plan to SLI in three (or fewer) years.

Sketch of a possible system. Will handle a second GPU for about a 80% performance...

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Xeon 1231 v3 is an excellent all-around CPU and just about every Z97 board should support it; you don't have to use ECC RAM with it. ECC is primarily needed in servers / business applications where you absolutely cannot afford to have data corruption; it doesn't really have a huge bearing on overall system stability or reliability versus non-ECC RAM in workstation scenarios. IMO, unless your system is used for business purposes, the extra cost isn't worth it.

If you want the ability to overclock, an i5-4690k would also be an excellent choice. If you plan to do a lot of editing and rendering-type functions, consider an i7-4790k for overall best long-term performance, but only if you will do very heavy workstation processing. Otherwise, the Xeon or i5-4690k would both serve you very well.

blue_smoke

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Ok so here's the main difference. I want a xeon too, and have researched A LOT about this.

The Xeon will turbo up to 3.6ghz I believe, which is plenty enough. It has 4 cores and 8 threads, it's basically a higher binned i7 for server use. You need a videocard with it though, no integrated video. You can flash pretty much any board (h81/h97/z97/b85) to work with this CPU. I've checked.

With the Xeon, you will be able to game, stream and edit your film simultaneously.

It's ultimately your choice.

The Xeon 1231 v3 is a great GP CPU. It's a locked i7 with a disabled iGPU and some other instructions enabled. Xeons will fit in a LGA1150 slot, so even H81 boards will work, but I would start with a H97. You do not need ECC for gaming, ordinary DDR3-1600 CL9 or less will be fine and inexpensive.

Your long-term issue will be GPU life. People are still using good Intel CPUs generations old and the LGA775 socket. However, no-one with a choice is using a GPU from that era. Games are getting more and more graphics intensive, and modern gaming systems are GPU limited anyway.

Start with one top-end GPU now, and plan to SLI in three (or fewer) years.

Sketch of a possible system. Will handle a second GPU for about a 80% performance improvement when needed and memory can be doubled.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($231.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($313.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1050.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-02 12:56 EDT-0400

Solution