[SOLVED] Reliable 500W PSU

I need a reliable 500w psu under $80 CAD. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
This is your second thread asking this question. There simply isn't anything that I'd consider reliable at 500 watts in your price range no matter how many times you ask. You'll have to find a way to increase your budget if you want a decent model or settle for a mediocre unit. The best I can find, that is close to your budget and power requirement, is the Corsair CX450, which is a good entry level power supply at about $85 CAD. @madmatt30 already told you this. Availability for this model is likely to be problematic. If you find one grab it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

... and by good reviews we mean professionally lab-tested reviews of said unit, not Amazon reviews or Google reviews which are worthless.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

The Thermaltake TR2 and Litepower series, even the newer revisions, should probably just be avoided altogether, along with the Smart series units, which are simply not good choices for use with gaming systems. If you want to use a Smart series unit with your internet browsing machine or some kind of low powered office box, it's probably ok. Although I'd recommend avoiding them, the Smart series units might be the best available units in some regions. That should not be mistaken for the idea that they are quality units though.

Reactions: madmatt30
my credo is to have a look at the warranty. >=5 years can be a good starting point, if no review is available.
The TT smart PSUs are not that bad in this price region.

Of course, if a 450W PSU will work as well, the Corsair CX450 would be my choice too.

This is the wrong question. Power supplies are guilty until proven innocent; it doesn't take a bad review to not buy a PSU, it takes a good review to buy a PSU.
finding a good review for this PSU would be fine too ;)

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
in my experience
Your experience has nothing to do with this, i as manufacturer can specify arbitrary warranty length if i have resources to back it or if i just don't care about RMA, i.e only a fraction of RMA requests would be fulfilled, other ignored. In the case Antec they're big enough to be able to sustain 5 years warranty on that thing, it doesn't make it good PSU.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
like said, in my experience, a normal PSU, which is in this price range ($80 CAD) and has a warranty of at least 5 years is a more reliable PSU than one with less than 5 years.
Again, like i said, your personal experience with PSUs doesn't translate to actual reliability or relation between warranty length and quality of components. Because unless your experience spans across a hundred or more PSUs you simply don't have enough data to treat this experience seriously. For example you can buy smth like Seasonic Prime Titanium or Corsair AX1600i and it suddenly fails on you and then you can buy some bottom of the bin stuff, sure, with 5 years warranty, like the PSU in question and it would work flawlessly for years. What's conclusion then ? This cheap-ass PSU is better than high-end ones ? No, it's a statistical error.

Sure, if PSU has 5 years warranty then you at least have some room to work with if it would fail but this PSU even disregarding it's reliability wouldn't be a good performing one regardless, because with 99% chance it's a cheap group regulated design, something okay-ish for iGPU, NAT, office spreadsheet machine build, not for your regular gaming build, even a cheap one. And yes, PSUs are guilty until proved otherwise, and we don't have any reviews on it, even just to know what's inside.

Again, like i said, your personal experience with PSUs doesn't translate to actual reliability or relation between warranty length and quality of components. Because unless your experience spans across a hundred or more PSUs you simply don't have enough data to treat this experience seriously. For example you can buy smth like Seasonic Prime Titanium or Corsair AX1600i and it suddenly fails on you and then you can buy some bottom of the bin stuff, sure, with 5 years warranty, like the PSU in question and it would work flawlessly for years. What's conclusion then ? This cheap-ass PSU is better than high-end ones ? No, it's a statistical error.

Sure, if PSU has 5 years warranty then you at least have some room to work with if it would fail but this PSU even disregarding it's reliability wouldn't be a good performing one regardless, because with 99% chance it's a cheap group regulated design, something okay-ish for iGPU, NAT, office spreadsheet machine build, not for your regular gaming build, even a cheap one. And yes, PSUs are guilty until proved otherwise, and we don't have any reviews on it, even just to know what's inside.

504w on the 12v rail, more than a just chance of it being a cheap group regulated design, that would steer me clear instantly even ignoring the fact its not even bronze rated.

Didn´t say anything else. From my point of view the PSU is reliable for at least 5 years. A good and more likely reliable PSU will start at $99 CAD

Didn´t say that the life span of hardware connected to it will NOT be reduced. That´s because the thread starter didn´t mention any hardware.
Most likely it is group regulated